Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have an apartment building with 16 units. all of them have

I have an apartment building with 16 units. all of them have hydronic heat with Erie zone valves. they are old and the only numbers are on the cover. It has Erie Motortrol 24 volts 10 psi number 63588-18AD. can the actuator on this be changed or do I have to cut out the whole valve and install new? If thats the case I have a shut off valve on the entrance side.
Do I have to drain the whole systemOr whats the best way to do it?

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Rick :

You should still be able to get replacement actuators locally. The number you posted doesn't correspond with any product data that I can find but that doesn't mean they aren't available

Rick :

However, if you have valves that are stuck (open or closed) it may be the valve body itself that's hanging up. Up that's the case then you'll have to replace the whole valve.

Customer:

I was not sure wether or not you can remove the actuator or not. I will take it apart and go to my supplier. thats alot easier than replacing the whole valve

Customer:

If I have to I will Have to drain the whole system unless I can free it up if it is stuck. I think the actuator is holding it open because the spring is not allowing it to return to closed

Rick :

No way to know for sure without removing the head

Customer:

Thanks I will take it apart and see what the stars will bring. thanks for the help this one is a little older and i could not find any infor on the number on the cover

Thanks for using Just Answer! Please keep me in mind should you have questions in the future. You can request me personally for Plumbing, Heating or general Home Improvement/Building problems should the need arise. Just bookmark this URL for future reference
http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-rickthecontractor/