HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Ruud Silhouette II natural gas furnace is blowing soot out

of the room vents....
Ruud Silhouette II natural gas furnace is blowing soot out of the room vents. What is it and what do I do now.
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/12/2013
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

What you describe is a likely indication of a cracked heat exchanger. This is potentially very hazardous. Do you have carbon monoxide detectors in the house?

Since it sounds like the heat exchanger might have been replaced once already it's also possible the soot is from the earlier failure. But you need to be sure there is no carbon monoxide getting into the house when the furnace runs now.

I did not notice any soot through the winter.

I have been running my fan for air circulation through this summer and this soot issue has only appeared since I've been running the fan.

Yes, the firebox was replaced. The original furnace was installed in 1983 and the firebox was under 30 year warranty. It was replaced under that warranty.

I wonder whether that same warranty would replace the firebox again since this replacement is now defunct?

There probably was a twenty year warranty (the industry standard)on your heat exchanger so you may be out of warranty but some models did have a lifetime warranty. You need to get this checked out by a pro ASAP. If you don't have carbon monoxide detectors in your house I would strongly recommend not turning on the heat until this is checked out.

Yes, I do have carbon monoxide detectors. I guess I'll have to call in a PRO to check all this out.

Many thanks, Rick.

I won't be using this furnace any time soon. I don't require lots of heat, so will use a room heater when necessary until I get this problem taken care of. In this area it doesn't normally get cold until late December/ early January.

You've earned your fee! I appreciate your answers.

You're welcome!
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Thanks for using Just Answer! Please keep us in mind should you have questions in the future that could use some expert answers. You can request me personally for Plumbing, Heating or general Home Improvement/Building problems should the need arise. Just bookmark this URL for future reference
http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-rickthecontractor/

Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor