Jerry, Service Technician
Experience:  HVAC Technician. Hearth Products Specialty
34748161

My Air Conditioner is not turning on and I was wondering how

My Air Conditioner is not turning on and I was wondering how to lower the temperature on the thermostat.

Jerry :

Welcome! My name isXXXXX will be happy to assist you today.

Jerry :

Can you get me a model number from your thermostat?

Customer:

The model number is XXXXX

Jerry :

Ok, do you know the brand name also? I will try to pull up a manual or picture.

Customer:

Aprilaire

Jerry :

Ok one minute.

Jerry :

Ok I have the manual, is your mode setting currently displaying cool in the system?

Customer:

Yes

Jerry :

There are two buttons on the far right, you should be able to press the down arrow to lower the set temperature.

Customer:

When I press the arrow and set the temperature to 72 degrees and the current temperature is 85 degrees, I leave it alone and the temperature does not go down at all and the temporary temperature goes back up to 85 degrees.

Jerry :

Ok, do you have a hold button also directly under the down arrow button?

Customer:

Yes

Jerry :

If you set the down temperature to 72 then push the hold button, it should not revert back, this will override the schedule.

Jerry :

However if you room temperature does not begin to fall after a while, you may have something wrong with the air conditioner.

Jerry :

Here is a copy of the manual if you need it.

Jerry :

When you set the temperature to 72 and press hold, does the screen indicate that the cooling is on?

Customer:

How long should it take for the Air Conditioner to go on? The current mode is cooling.

Jerry :

If you have a heat pump system, sometimes it will have a five or six minute delay. But after six minutes the outdoor unit should turn on and you should start feeling cool air inside.

Customer:

Ok thank you.

Jerry :

You are welcome. Do you have any further questions?

Customer:

It has been eight minutes and the current temperature is 87 and the Air Conditioner is not on.

Jerry :

It sounds like there may be a problem with the outdoor unit. Does your thermostat have any messages on the screen?

Customer:

No messages have been displayed.

Jerry :

Ok, and right under the temperature that is the set temperature box, the thermostat says cooling on?

Customer:

Yes, it says cooling.

Jerry :

Ok, so the thermostat is telling the a/c to come on. But it is not coming on. Do you want to do some trouble shooting at the outdoor unit?

Customer:

Ok, thank you.

Jerry :

If you would like to continue troubleshooting I will need a brand name and model of outdoor unit.

Customer:

we are looking for this info please wait

Jerry :

ok.

Jerry :

There should be a name plate near where the wires and pipes enter the outdoor unit.

Customer:

The model # XXXXX XXXXX the brand name is KeepRite

Jerry :

OK, the first thing to check is the breakers and or fuses, to make sure the unit is getting power. Do you have an electrical tester or multi meter?

Customer:

The outdoor unit is making a low humming noise. I checked the circuit breaker and moved the 2 fuses the air conditioner is on back and forth. The fuses seem tight however they are both slightly warm to the touch. I felt the other fuses on the circuit breaker and did not feel that warmth. We do not have a tester or multi meter.

Jerry :

OK, the slight hum most likely is the contactor that is low voltage that is telling the ac unit to come on. if you were to turn off the thermostat while watching the contactor you should see or hear this contactor click on. There could be several things wrong, from a simple fuse blown, to a contactor not making the switch, to more serious things. I think at this point with out a meter, you may want to just change the fuses, or bring them in to have them checked.

Jerry :

I mean, turning on and off the thermostat should make the contactor pull in and release, and when its pulled in, or on, it does make a slight humming noise. But if nothing else is humming then it may be a fuse or breaker or power issue.

Jerry :

If you hear some louder humming when the thermostat is on, it may be a faulty capacitor. IF the capacitor is faulty, the compressor and the fan outdoor usually will get hot and hum, but will not turn on.

Jerry :

Sometimes you can visually tell if the capacitor is faulty, it will be bulged slightly or leaking a little oil. I will post a pic of a capacitor.

Customer:

What would we do with a meter? I don't think we can pull out the fuses on this circuit breaker just turn the ones for the air conditioner off. Should we then turn off the fuses to the air conditioner? The air conditioner is making a continous low humming but nothing else humming.

Jerry :

First turn off the thermostat, this should stop the humming.

Jerry :

A multimeter is the main tool used to find where the problem is. Whether or not the fuses are good, etc.

Customer:

we are turning off the thermostat and looking for the capacitor.

Jerry :

You should have a breaker marked a/c or heat pump in the main panel.

Customer:

There are two places on the breaker for the air conditioner.

Jerry :

Turning this breaker off, will not stop the low voltage humming. since its getting its power from the thermostat, which is getting its power from the furnace or air handler.

Jerry :

You should turn these breakers off before doing any work on the outdoor fused disconnect, of course.

Customer:

It's 87 in here why would the furnace be going on. There are two other places on the breaker for the furnace.

Jerry :

The furnace is being used to blow the cool air through the home. Just the blower part, not the heating part.

Jerry :

The outdoor unit, basically pushes cooled refrigerant to your indoor coil in the furnace.

Customer:

So do we need to also turn off the furnace part of the circuit breaker to stop the air conditioner from working at all

Jerry :

Not really, if your thermostat is turned off, it wont send low voltage signal to the outdoor unit.

Customer:

The thermostat is off and the air conditioner has stopped humming and we didn't find anything bulging or out of place

Jerry :

But without a tester to verify that the power is turned off, I cannot say. There is always the possiblity that the breakers could be mislabled.

Jerry :

Ok. do you see the contactor?

Customer:

no we do not see the contactor- what do we do for now about the warmth in the breaker for the air conditioner or will it be ok if the air conditioner is off

Jerry :

I will be fine if the air conditioner is off.

Customer:

ok so we need someone to look at the air conditioner or an electrician

Jerry :

You would need and HVAC contractor.

Jerry :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

no, thanks for your awesome help

Jerry :

You are welcome! I wish we could have made it work and cool it down. Thanks for using Just Answer!

Customer:

Thanks take care