tadowhere
tadowhere, Handyman
Experience:  I have over 16 years experience in HVAC
65180200

I have a central AC unit. My 3/8 copper return line from the

I have a central AC unit. My 3/8 copper return line from the inside evap coil is frozen. The refrigerant line is luke warm. What would cause this?

tadowhere :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX going to help you out tonight.

tadowhere :

The main reasons for the line to freeze up is lack of air flow and low charge

tadowhere :

First thing to check is the air filter. Make sure it is clean/new. I

tadowhere :

If the old was is real dirty that could be the issue

Customer:

Air filter cleaned. I thought only the high side freezing would indicate that

tadowhere :

High side won't freeze only low side

Customer:

This is the side that is normally hot, it is now freezing

tadowhere :

Ok so your saying the smaller line (liquid) is freezing?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

I don't know if it is liquid, but definitly smaller and usually hot

Customer:

AC blowing cool but not cold

Customer:

Heat out of outside fan is only warm, not hot

tadowhere :

has the unit been charged recently? Also fo you have the model # XXXXX the condenser?

tadowhere :

Do you know if you have a txv or is it cap tube?

Customer:

No. I had it checked last week. They said it read correct poundage. R22? I don't know txv or cap. checking for model now

tadowhere :

The only reason I can see the liquid line freezing is low charge, blocked strainer (if installed) , blocked txv or capillary tubes.

Customer:

BDP 518A060

tadowhere :

Out of those options the txv or cap tubes is most likely the issue. The number you gave me is that off the outside unit?

Customer:

no, the inside unit.

tadowhere :

I need the outside unit.

Customer:

565BB060

tadowhere :

what kind of temp drop do you have from the airflow out the vent to the outside temp?

tadowhere :

How does the condenser (outside unit) fins look? Are they smashed, bent etc? Are they clean?

Customer:

now maybe 5-10 degrees. Last week up to today I had about 20-30. on going different issues. Old system.

tadowhere :

Yeah 30 is the target

tadowhere :

I'm finding very little info w/ the model # XXXXX gave me.

Customer:

I cleaned them about a month ago. Not the best condition.

Customer:

Yeah old system and BDP went out of business

tadowhere :

These could be causing issues as well if the heat cannot be released at the condenser then issues will arise. A plugged, smashed, dirty condenser can cause a lot of issues.

Customer:

what would cause a blockage? could it have been when the AC tech came out last week?

Customer:

The unit has been work OK until today and the fins haven't changed condition in the past 3 months

tadowhere :

It would be hard to cause a blockage on purpose.

tadowhere :

Sometimes having issues with a condenser wears the unit/compressor down if not operating as designed.

tadowhere :

when I say issues I mean smashed,bent,dirty etc condenser coil

Customer:

I guess my question would be, can low refrigerant cause that side to freeze up?

Customer:

what is a tvx or cap tube?

tadowhere :

Without putting gauges on it it's hard to give you definitive answer to as why the liquid (high) side is freezing. The right leak could cause this but I rarely see it.

tadowhere :

txv---cap tube are a metering device at the evaporator coil you have one or the other

Customer:

yeah, my problems never are the norm. I never fit in that box. haha

tadowhere :

i'm guessing since your unit is older it's cap tube

tadowhere :

I know the feeling

Customer:

easy fix for pro or expensive because of r22?

tadowhere :

Well it shouldn't be to bad depending on how much refrigerant (R22) you lost or didn't lose. With older units they will push you towards buying a new unit R410A

Customer:

R410A?

tadowhere :

It's easy to see if you have a leak I mean if they were just out there and come back if there's a drop then that's a sign. They could back the R22 up into compressor and pull a vacuum and see if it holds or fill it with nitrogen and find the leak (if there's one)

tadowhere :

R410A is the replacement, well what we have to use instead of R22 due to EPA. There's plenty of R22 out there and you can still buy R22 condensers that are not charged.

tadowhere :

R410A is not a drop in for R22 totally different operating pressures among other things.

Customer:

well that has been helpful. I guess I'll have to force the issue. They didn't seem to want to charge it last time and were trying to push new system, I'm just not ready for an extra 10-12k debt right now. They are coming out again tomorrow.

tadowhere :

Yeah I would ask them once they get gauges on it if there's a big difference from the last time they were out? Also keep in mind A/C's are sealed systems so the refrigerant doesn't just disappear if it gets low there's a leak 100%

Customer:

thanks

tadowhere :

If the issue is the cap tubes the evap coil is not a big ticket item and they can replace it.

tadowhere :

No problem. Thanks for using JA.

Customer:

I was going to clean the evap coil, but someone put it in sideways and no access!

tadowhere :

Yeah they are a pain to clean.

Customer:

goodnight