gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

I recently had my AC unit replaced with a brand new, huge commercial

I recently had my AC unit replaced with a brand new, huge commercial unit for my two story house. I was told the trunk lines needed replacing and had that done as well. BUT the rooms upstairs are still not getting cool. The main level is super cool but upstairs is hot! what could be the problem?
Russ here.. Where is thermostat located. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Downstairs

The thermostat downstairs is controlling the upstairs. Shuts system down to quickly. Two story with one system is the hardest to balance temp. They should have zoned system when replacing ductwork. Your choice is to have them try to balance system,install a zone with thermostat upstairs or relocate the thermostat. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Should the thermostat relocation be included in what I already paid or is this an extra expense?

It relocation should have been in price. Installers should have known this would work correctly. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The vents located upstairs have barely any air coming out of them. one of the rooms had condensation around the vent. this makes me think that the thermostat isn't at fault.

Air flow may be part of problem but the thermostat location is also a problem. Balancing air will help but it will always be a few degrees difference in temp upstairs. You can have them increase air flow and push more air upstairs by balancing vents. The ducts sweating lets me know you have low air flow. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how are vents balanced? I mean is this like something that required breaking walls or stuff like that?

No they can do with the runs off main ductwork. Make sure they have an air capture hood or velometer to measure correct air flow. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So, since none of this happened, should I be expecting charges for the contractor when I call him about these issues? He was aware that we didn't have air flow in the upstairs

If I were the contractor and new your airflow was bad upstairs I would have corrected problem with the new ductwork. At least they should try to balance air. Russ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok! thanks for all your answers!

Hope I have helped. Russ