HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Hello, I have a Goodman AC unit about 5+ years old. It makes

a loud squealing noise similar...
Hello, I have a Goodman AC unit about 5+ years old. It makes a loud squealing noise similar to this video posted on youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azc9e8uZH6w
(check near the end of the video to hear the squealing)

when it squeals, the fan stops. But then we turn it off for about 10 mins and turn it back on and it runs normally again for about 1 hrs or so, maybe less, then it does the same thing. So we replaced the fan motor and it still the same issue. What could it be?
8/21/2013
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional

Tim H. :

Please do not rate me until we have finished our dialog and you can rate me as "excellent" service. Thanks for the opportunity to help.

Tim H. :

Good evening.

Customer:

Hello Tim

Tim H. :

I'm sorry you are having trouble with your unit. Although it's rare for a compressor to go out after 5 years, this sounds a lot like the compressor. There are only two moving parts in a condensing unit and you've already replaced one of them (the condenser fan).

Customer:

yes i have

Tim H. :

You said the fan stops when this happens?

Customer:

yeh, when the fan stops, it start sqealing

Customer:

squealing*

Customer:

we shut it off

Customer:

wait 10 mins, and turn it back on and it runs normal

Tim H. :

OK, so the squealing doesn't start until the fan (the one you replaced) stops, correct?

Customer:

them the fan stops and it starts squealing...

Customer:

yes

Tim H. :

Now when you replaced it, did you get an OEM direct replacement fan motor?

Customer:

i had someone get it for me. I couldn't get it myself. so i'm not really sure =(

Tim H. :

OK, well that would be very important because if the horsepower was lower than the original, it could overheat

Customer:

hmm...i'm assuming it is, cuz it feels hot around the unit

Customer:

same thing happening before the fan replacement

Customer:

i'm trying to get a hold of the person now that bought me the motor...to see if it's a direct OEM replacement

Tim H. :

Yeah, that's what worries me. If you can look at the nameplate on the new fan motor, it should show the horsepower. Compare that with the nameplate rating on your Goodman unit where it shows fan "horsepower"

Customer:

let's just say it's not a direct but has the same horsepower, would that cause any issues?

Tim H. :

Let me ask you another question: when is the last time you thoroughly rinsed out the coils on your outside condensing unit?

Customer:

oh man, never

Customer:

the coil is the outside where the air pulls in

Customer:

?

Tim H. :

You should do that. Take a garden hose, put on a spray attachment. Set it to a stream and starting at the top, work back and forth on the coils on all sides from top to bottom

Tim H. :

Rinse off any dirt, debris, etc.

Customer:

okay

Tim H. :

If the fan can't pull air through the coils, it will overheat regardless of the horsepower

Customer:

i know i did it a bit early, but not thoroughly

Customer:

so when it overheats, the fan shuts down?

Tim H. :

Yes, do all sides

Tim H. :

Yes

Customer:

and when the fan shuts down the compressor heats up?

Customer:

causing squealing maybe?

Tim H. :

Compressors can make strange noises if there is no fan to cool

Customer:

that's where the sound is coming from, below the fan (compressor area)

Tim H. :

I didn't realize this happened AFTER the fan stopped. That changes things

Customer:

did you see the youtube video i linked ya?

Customer:

yeh, it happens after the fan stops

Tim H. :

I did, yes

Customer:

it the exact sound

Tim H. :

Is that your unit?

Customer:

no, i just googled it and it popped up

Customer:

i'm not home right now, i'm at work. lol

Customer:

so i can't go clean it until i get home which is around 10:30pm (central)

Customer:

now with a fully cleaned sides and it still occurs?

Tim H. :

OK, well I would start with the coils. Then if fan still stops, check the horsepower and wiring and so forth. Make sure it's the correct one for the unit.

Customer:

if all is correct?

Customer:

oem direct/hp same

Customer:

coil cleaned

Tim H. :

If it is, check for voltage to the fan and see if it has voltage when it stops. If it does, I hate to say it but it may be bad already.

Customer:

wiring is perfect

Customer:

i'm afraid so

Tim H. :

This can happen with generic fan motors or motors that are not the correct one.

Tim H. :

I'd also replace the fan run capacitor

Tim H. :

If the coils are extremely dirty, this could cause a new fan motor to overheat and (ultimately) go out.

Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Tim H.
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional