HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

a/c beeped and went off and will not come back on

8/1/2013
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Welcome to Just Answer!

I may or may not be able to help. Do you have the model number of the unit. Can you tell me if it is freestanding in the house, or fits through the wall.... and if it has a remote control or not.

Let me know, we can go from there.

Phil

fits through the wall and has remote control uchw-H24AFA2 uchw-h24cF2

Hello again,

Have you tried changing the batteries in the remote control?

Phil

yes we did that. the unit was working and just beeped a few times and went off

Look for a small hole on the front or back of the remote control, if you find one, use a paper clip wire and poke that in the hole... that resets the remote.

There is about a 30% chance that will work. Beyond that we are a bit over our heads here as far as what can be done by a home owner.

Tell me please how old the unit and what it costs, from that I can make an evaluation of repair, repair estimate or replace options.

Phil

What area is the hole located ? it will not beep anymore either when we try to turn it on with the remote . The unit is 7 yrs old 1200.00

Hello again, about 60% of the remotes have this reset hole... the others do not.

You have to have good eye sight or a magnifying glass to find it, if it has one.

At 7 years the unit is not worth most repairs. other parts are due to fail shortly.

... if it were mine I would call a few local appliance repair shops and ask if they work on that brand or not, if they do, get the price for a service call and estimate.
I would not spend more than $200 on repairs... tell me what they say.

We can go from there... I need to know what they say if I am to do you any good.

Phil

We found the hole but it didin't work for me.Thanks for your inform.

You are welcome. next try unplugging and replugging the unit wait 5 minutes between un plugging and replugging, then reset the remote again... that has about a 10% chance of working.

Phil

Tried but it didn't work

Its time to call in an appliance repair shop for a repair estimate. Tell me which direction you are in from the center of the nearest city i can see if I can any appliance repair shops with good reviews near by.

The problem is most likely in the units electronics control module... parts for those units can be hard to get, if they can find the parts, your costs will be in the $300 range.

phil

We got it fixed .a wire had burned into when the power surge hit but it only cost 85.00 to have it fixed. thanks

Good work! you have an honest fairly priced repair service there!

On this end if you choose to rate my assistance positively I will appreciate it.

Thanks!
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer