Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I may buy a condo with a RHEEM FURNACE, the Serial No. is CN3D104

I may buy a condo with a RHEEM FURNACE, the Serial No. is CN3D104 F2083 5727 and the Model No. is RGCA-045C. Can you tell me how old this unit is?

Tim H :

Please do not rate me until we have finished our dialog and you can rate me as "excellent service". Thanks for the opportunity to help.

Tim H :

Good morning.

Tim H :

Are you there?

Customer:

Hi Tim, yes I'm here. I just want to know how old this Rheem furnace is.

Tim H :

This furnace is from the 20th week of 1983. It's 30 years old!!

Tim H :

It should be replaced.

Tim H :

Besides having the potential of being unsafe, it is not efficient

Customer:

Thank you. I'm not insane. Could you give me an estimate on a newer furnace the same size?

Tim H :

Installed about $3200

Customer:

I understand the information that you've shared with me is for my personal use but is there a way I can print this entire conversation.

Tim H :

I believe you can print the page. I've never tried it.

Customer:

Tim I think that's about it.

Tim H :

Yes, good luck! Thanks you for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service. Bonuses are always appreciated. Feel free to post back with any additional questions.

Customer:

How do I contact you, specifically, in the future--if need be.

Tim H :

Just bookmark the page. You can always come back to it.

Customer:

DONE!! Thanks for the Excellent Service. vam

Tim H :

Take care!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I do have additional questions. I was uncertain about the additional cost. The other questions included verification of the contractor's license #201263130400CL fourteen characters. I’ve checked with 4 different “qualified” sources i.e. master plumber, city and county officials and to say the least—it may be a permit? At the bare minimum, the company does have a license through Aurora, CO. The other question was relating to the lifespan of Federal Pacific Electric Panel which is as old as the furnace. At least I have verified the company—Colorado Quality HVAC—holds a license in Aurora, CO but the owner, Mark Yeager remains a mystery. The property owner and both realtors (hers and mine) are unyielding and standing firm on this being a great deal... conflict of interest? lawyer? HOW OLD IS YOUR FURNACE? ELECTRICAL PANEL?

Valerie, I would stand firm on replacement of this furnace before purchasing this unit. It is not safe and definitely way past it's lifespan. Otherwise, I'd move on unless you are willing to foot the bill for a new furnace install yourself. As fas as the panel, this sounds quite old. also. These are things that need to be brought up before the purchase, otherwise they will end up being your responsibility. I can't help you much with the contractor's license being as this is an HVAC expert website.
Good luck and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

More than likely I'll be replacing both. I've mentioned all of the above. A contract is signed, the Home Inspection is performed. The Inspection Objection is submitted. The seller refuses to fix anything. The opposing real estate agents are in opposition with... you. They want to get on with the next deal because they feel enough time has been spent on the current one.

What are the QUALIFICATIONS i.e. time as apprentice, journeyman, of a HVAC expert? The contract reads "the seller must have a licensed and insured professional... service the HVAC."

What is sufficient proof the HVAC Serviceman was "licensed and insured.." while you're sitting at the closing table? and

Is that a good reason for a lawyer to be at a closing?

It depends on the state. But at the least, he should have insurance and a competency card for both gas and refrigeration. I would also look for a NATE certified technician, although that is not essential but it shows he has passed competency tests in his trade. Yes, it may be a good idea to have legal advice prior to closing.
If they are unwilling to bend on this, then it's really up to you and how much you love this place. Either way, that furnace is going to need replacement. As I mentioned earlier, the average life of a furnace is 15-20 years and this one has far exceeded that. In our state (Minnesota), there are very few places sold with that old a furnace. The chances of it being unsafe, having a cracked heat exchanger, or at the very least, just being very inefficient by today's standards are great.
Good luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

...last ? NATE means what