HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I an Hvac system with low performance. Suction pressure is…

I an Hvac system with...

I an Hvac system with low performance. Suction pressure is 10 psi and 125 on the hi side. the suction line is iced over from the unit to the a-coil and the a-coil itself. please advise

7/20/2013
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
You need to thaw the coil and then check pressures, but it sounds as though you are very undercharged.

Do you have refrigerant?

Thawing as we speak and I can get refrigerant on Monday. I have no idea how to measure a proper charge or how much oil to add if any. had a service out here two days ago and they said they added some and didn't want to add more because the pressures were to high, when I checked they seemed low.

Keep in mind there formulas for exact charging by superheat and/or subcooling but this is a tough venue to teach that.

The basic pressures for R22 on a 90 degree day...265 head and 75-80 suction depending on indoor temp.

The problem is a cold/frozen coil gives low reading because of ice, but with only 125 head pressure you are very low. There must be a significant leak needing repair.

Billy

BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech