HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a High efficiency concept 10 heat pump, the t-stat calls

Customer Question
for cool but the outside...
I have a High efficiency concept 10 heat pump, the t-stat calls for cool but the outside unit does not turn on, please help.
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: HVAC
7/9/2013
HVAC Technician: Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician replied 4 years ago
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician

Brian HVAC Guy :

Hi, I'm Brian. I'm here to answer your HVAC question to your complete satisfaction! I would like to try to help.

Brian HVAC Guy :

Does your inside blower operate and blow properly through the vents?

Brian HVAC Guy :

Are you receiving my response today? Chat mode can be flaky at times.

Brian HVAC Guy :

I am going to switch to Q/A mode and we can continue our conversation one post at a time. Please bear with me.

Ok here we will respond back and forth one message at a time. Thanks for your patience.
If your indoor blower is blowing through the vents inside and your outdoor unit is doing nothing, I would listen closely to the outdoor unit and try to see if you hear a hum or buzz. If you do then your outdoor unit may not be getting line power and you should check your breaker for that unit first. You should turn the breaker for the outdoor unit solidly off then back on. Also check the disconnect switch on the outside wall next to your unit that it is on. If the outdoor unit tries to start and quits then there is an issue with the unit ans we would need a voltmeter to find out what. If the breaker quickly trips then you have a short circuit in the outdoor unit and it will need service. Or if you have the meter and knowledge I can try to help you diagnose what is wrong with it.

Hi Brian,

Sorry we got disconnected..

Yes I checked the breaker and outside disconnect switch, they seem all working..

I jumped between Y and R wire, and the outside unit came on but the vent was blowing hot air.

I do have a voltmeter, please tell me what to do.

Thanks.

Are you there?
If you can jump between R and Y and the outdoor unit comes on then it sounds like you may have a thermostat issue. That tells me that the outdoor unit has power. If you jump R to Y,O and G that effectively puts your unit in cool with the indoor fan running as well. If you do that and get cool air then there is an issue with your thermostat.

which one do you want me to jump ? R to Y or O ?

If you jump R to Y your compressor should turn on in heat mode, If you jump R to Y and O your compressor should come on in cooling mode, If you jump R to G your indoor blower should come on. So if you Jump R to Y, O and G, you effectively put your system in cool just as your thermostat should on a call for cool. If you jump those four terminals together and your system runs and cools but it doesn't when you set your thermostat to cool then there is an issue with your thermostat.

I jumped R to Y, O and G, the outside unit did NOT run. Changed to a new t-stat, put the system in cool, the outside unit starts to run and so did the indoor blower, but got warm air from the vent! Something wrong with AC ?

It's possible that there is an issue with the reversing valve. That is what is controlled by the O terminal on the thermostat. When you set the thermostat in cool the O terminal gets energized and then when the thermostat calls for the compressor to run it energizes the Y terminal to bring on the compressor as well. When the reversing valve is not energized (as happens in heat) the compressor works in the heat cycle and cold air comes off of the outdoor unit and warm air out of the indoor unit. You can do a simple electrical test to see if the reversing valve circuit is intact or not by turning off the thermostat (or removing the front part of the thermostat if it is the type that the wires are behind the face) and checking for 24-28 volts ac. You should have 24-28 volts between R and all other wired terminals. If you have voltage at R and O then the reversing valve circuit and the reversing valve coil are intact and there could be a problem with the outdoor unit. The problems could include low refrigerant, stuck reversing valve, compressor valve problems, compressor starting problems etc...
I'm sorry you felt I gave you poor service. I did my best to help from afar. If there is something I can do or help with to change your mind, please allow me to continue to work with you to make this a positive experience for you. Thank you, -Brian
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician