Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I have a Hayward HP50TA above ground heat pump. Purchased

I have a Hayward HP50TA above ground heat pump. Purchased at the end of 2011. Only used it for the 2012 swimming season. Ran it for 2 weeks this season and I'm receiving an error code LP. I back washed my filter today, cleaned my skimmer, and checked all of my hoses and connection for leaks. Nothing is leaking and still getting the blinking LP error code.
Welcome to Just answer!.

I will stay with you until the situation resolves.
I hold questions open after positive ratings to allow for unlimited follow up.

The LP error code indicates the system has a refrigerant leak and has lost most of its refrigerant if it occurs before the unit starts.... if it occurs after the heat pump has been running for quite a while the LP error code can be caused by insufficient water flow, due to a clogged water filter or pump, or debris build up in the heat exchanger.

Let me know what part of this statement makes sense on your end, we can go from there. If I miss you tonight, I will be back on line in the morning to respond to any note you send.

I will keep working with you with more testing etc, until we solve the problem.

Phil
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks for your reply. Maury here (Lori's husband). We have sufficient water flow into the pool from the Hayward. Does this rule out insufficient water flow and clogged water filter?

Hello again, what seems to be sufficient water flow to an observer, is not necessarily sufficient for the heat pump to operate properly.... this does not mean that you have low water flow necessarily, just that we need to look into that aspect.

However the most common cause of the low pressure cut off is a refrigerant leak.

See the winterizing section of the manual page 23, if you are located in below freezing sections of the country the system must be drained in the winter to prevent the heat exchanger from freezing and rupturing the heat exchanger tubes... that can cause a refrigerant leak.

CLICK HERE FOR THE OWNERS MANUAL
For future reference.

its going to take a Hayward heat pump service man with a good skill set to put instruments on the heat pump to determine what the heat pump high and low side refrigerant pressures are.

It is likely that there is a leak and that it will be a warranty repair since most of those units carry a sealed system warranty that should still be in effect... do you have the warranty paperwork? Can you review it for me?

If you can tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest town or city I can see which companies in the area service those units.

We can go from there. If you rate my work so far as excellent or good, I can keep this question open with no time limits for you... that way i can coach you though the service and warranty process.

Thanks!

Phil

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your response. Maury (my husband) did drain the unit of all of it's water and use a small air compressor to blow out any excess water that may have still been in there before closing the heat pump for the season.

The only warranty card I could find is located on page 25 of the manual (not actually numbered 25, it's just the page after 24). My husband called Hayward yesterday and they said the heat pump has a 2 year warranty on parts and 1 year on labor. We purchased it on August 22, 2011. We didn't use it until the 2012 swimming season because of delays installing the pool. We live in Coaldale, PA and our zipcode is 18218. Hayward was not able to find someone in our area to service our heat pump (great company, huh... eye roll).

We had an electrician over to look at it earlier today and he thinks it is a refrigerant issue because the low pressure sensor is working fine. He is only an electrician though, not an HVAC guy.

I would be more than happy to rate your work so far as excellent and I would greatly appreciate keeping this question open to work through the service/ warranty process.

Kind regards,

Lori

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Phil,

I'm not sure what happened? I rated you like you asked and now my status says "finished". Did I accidentally close the ticket?

Lori

Hello again, just keep posting the thread, I will answer it ... I have no idea why our computer sends out 'closed messages' after a positive rating... in my case at least I stay with you as long as necessary on any particular question.

Try responding to this note, I will respond.

We can keep going from there.

Phil
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, thank you.

Did you see my response above the one where I accidentally closed the ticket after rating you?

Lori

Hi Lori, I see all of your responses, *you did not close the ticket... our crazy software did, fortunately it only says 'closed'... you can respond just as you did just now.... and i will get it and stay with you as long as necessary.

Phil
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry for the confusion. I copied and pasted the response I am referring to below. I was afraid you may have missed it because I had 2 responses in a row.

"Hi Phil,

The only warranty card I could find is located on page 25 of the manual (not actually numbered 25, it's just the page after 24). My husband called Hayward yesterday and they said the heat pump has a 2 year warranty on parts and 1 year on labor. We purchased it on August 22, 2011. We didn't use it until the 2012 swimming season because of delays installing the pool. We live in Coaldale, PA and our zipcode is 18218. Hayward was not able to find someone in our area to service our heat pump (great company, huh... eye roll). Any help you could provide finding a certified technician to look at our heat pump would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Lori"

Hello again, the closest heat pump qualified people I can find in my national register are in Allentown, 35 or 40 miles away... that is not going to practical or cost effective for you.

Your local phone book will have small local HVAC contractors listed... look through those for me please until you can find one that advertises 'ground source heat pumps' or 'geothermal heat pumps'..... your heat pump is close to that design and uses the same principles... an established firm that has an experienced technician working for them should be able to find the leak and charge the system.... they may or may not choose to work with you. We need to find out.

Call them on the phone, get an estimate, then *do not hire them....instead email their company name and address and a note about their charges to Hayward and ask if they will approve that company do do the work, under the warranty and then pay their charges since they do not claim to have a Hayward dealer in your area.

Which company in your area sold you the Hayward heat pump? I need their name address and phone number so I can call them and discuss their service capability.

Let me know what they say before you agree to anything... I will advise you from there.

Phil