HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a Carrier HVAC system. Tech2000 SS. Last night it quit

cooling, I checked some obvious...
I have a Carrier HVAC system. Tech2000 SS. Last night it quit cooling, I checked some obvious things. The condenser fan and compressor dot seem to turn on. 1 of the 2 30 amp fuses going to the condenser unit was blown. I replaced both. It still does not run. I went out to check a thing or 2 after about 1/2 hour with the new fuses and the condenser fan motor is HOT. I am an Auto Tech, knowledgeable with mobile A/C systems and know how to use a voltmeter.
6/12/2013
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

Is the capacitor top flat and recessed or domed upward?

Billy

I cannot see a capacitor in the unit. Could it be hidden? What is the approximate size anad would it be close to or mounted on the motor? I have done no disassembly on the unit uo to this point.

Thanks, Russ

Remove the corner panel where wiring from house enters. 5/16s nut driver.

Look for the capacitor behind that panel

Looks like a can of red bull with a FLAT top. And I wish the guy installing the fence had talked to the guy that installed the condenser unit.<g>

Thanks Russ.

Now you will see a contactor.

the power from house (230v) comes in one end. When tstat calls for cool this contactor closes (springloaded up and down) and 230v goes out other end.

1- see if 230v at the front end from house.
2- see if the spring loaded center is up or down when thermostat set to cool.
3- see if 230v going out the other end.

242 in and 242 out cannot feel any spring loading either way? it did hum/buzz for about 2-3 seconds when the fuses were inserted for the voltage check

Ok,

and neither the fan motor or compressor started?

we have it narrowed down now...

Nope, just a hum and no other action

Ok,

good news = power is in correct to contactor and out which proves all main power and low voltage are working.

Since neither motor or compressor starts the only common denominator is the capacitor. The capacitor is responsible for starting the fan and compressor.

Replace the capacitor with a same rated capacitor and you should be back in business.

Billy

BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech