HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

how do I get my honeywell programmable thermostat to reset?

the display went blank...
how do I get my honeywell programmable thermostat to reset? the display went blank
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/8/2013
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

What function were you using when this occurred?

Billy

The thermostat was installed last fall--new home--and worked perfectly all winter. Today I was trying to switch to air conditioning/cooling, I tried to do it manually by pushing buttons on the display. When I switched the "system" setting to "cool" instead of "heat", that is when I lost all power to the thermostat display.

Thank you.

This means there is a short in the wiring to the ac unit...

What is make and model of the furnace?

it is a Maytag, sorry I cannot locate the model number.

If it is a short in the AC unit then probably I should just call my original HVAC installers tomorrow and get them to fix it.

You are correct.

There is a 3amp fuse on the circuit board in the durnace that blew to protect the system.

The thermostat wire that goes outside to the ac unit can get ice damage, rodents, weed wacker....or hooked up wrong.

I am confident they will find a minor wiring issue and replace a 3 amp fuse.

I really wish you well and if you have further questions on this just let me know.

Billy

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX that is the problem. It is true that they originally installed the HVAC incorrectly since they already had to come on a service call and fix the fan speed.

The good news is that they should cover it under warranty.

Too bad it didnt work first time out...always dissappointing when that happens.

Billy

Meanwhile, is there a way to turn my heat back on?

Yes.

But you would need to remove the furnace doors and locate the fuse on the circuit board in the bottom section..make sure not in ac graphic

Replace this fuse and you will be back in business.

Billy

BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

That's beyond my skills unfortunately and also I don't have a spare fuse anyway. I guess I will just haveto get someone here tomorrow to fix it.

thanks anyway

BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech