A-1 Tech
A-1 Tech, Service Manager
Experience:  I have been in the HVAC business for over 40 years.
8655086

Our new Amana HVAC system was installed about 4 months ago.

Our new Amana HVAC system was installed about 4 months ago. Now that the Air Conditioning system is running more frequently we are noticing that while the compressor is quieter, the sound from the refrigerant line(s) in the wall is much louder. It there a good way to quiet the gushing sound of the lines in the wall? I heard that a trap might take care of it but that would require some demolition of the exterior wall. What is your opinion and recommendation?
Thanks.
Dennis

A-1 Tech :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

Customer:

Hello Ron.

A-1 Tech :

If your old unit was R-22 (refrigerant 22) then there is a great pressure difference between the two. Normal discharge pressure for R-22 is around 230 lb.PSI while the newer refrigerant R-410 (which is your new system) runs about 350 lb. PSI

A-1 Tech :

This higher pressure will make more noise. I don't think a trap will help this at all.

A-1 Tech :

However, I would call the installer back out to double check the charge in the unit, that could make a difference.

A-1 Tech :

Also sometimes the refrigerant pipes going into the wall can get moved around a little and make more noise. I would have them check this also.

A-1 Tech :

If it was cool outside when they did the startup, they may need to add a little refrigerant.

Customer:

They checked everything Monday. I'll ask about movement but what I hear is a hissing sound.

A-1 Tech :

Does this answer your question? I know I would rather leave the unit a little low on charge in cooler weather so as not to damage the system. I usually tell the customer I will return once it warms up outside for fine tuning the refrigerant charge in the system.

A-1 Tech :

Thank you ............ Ron

A-1 Tech :

I am available if you have any further questions and also for follow up if you need me.

Customer:

OK thanks. BTW I can't access your response on my computer. Access is denied.

A-1 Tech :

You can't see my answers?

A-1 Tech :

Be sure you register this system on the internet in order to receive your 10 year part warranty.

Customer:

Yes but only on my phone. "Chat with expert" takes me to "cars" and access is denied.

A-1 Tech :

amana-hac.com for warranty registration

A-1 Tech :

Thank you very much

Customer:

OK. Bye.