HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

What Causes A Delayed Ignition Boom In Your Furnace?

What causes a delayed ignition...

What causes a delayed ignition boom in your furnace?

2/19/2013
Thehvacguy
Thehvacguy, LIC HVAC,Plumber

GARY C :

Did you have the burners cleaned?

JACUSTOMER-s5vy9dwl- :

What do you think?

Yes, the burners were cleaned at the same time this started, we got a new thermostat. Any relationship there?
GARY C :

The only cause for the delayed ignition is a improperly positioned igniter or dirty burners

The bar that hooks the burners together has holes in them to cross over to the next burner if they are plugged you will get a boom from delayed ignitoin
How old is the furnace
Thermostat has nothing to do with the delayed ignition
JACUSTOMER-s5vy9dwl- :

The furnace is 22 years old. We have had a technician replace the igniter lock-out module. He also cleaned the burners and positioned the pilot to ignite quicker.

GARY C :

Sounds like it needs cleaned again, at 22 years old at is at the end off its life so there are still plugged/ corroded burners causing this, you could have it cleaned again, or if the delay is not to severe, live with it but know a new furnace is needed

Anything after 15 years and days are numbered
JACUSTOMER-s5vy9dwl- :

The delayed ignition only occurs once in the morning around 7:15 and does not happen again til the next morning.

GARY C :

Should happen every time, are you sure you just notice in in the morning because its quiet in the house?

JACUSTOMER-s5vy9dwl- :

No. Occasionally it will happen twice within an hour but it hasn't done it twice since we had it cleaned and worked on.

We have left the door to the furnace room unlatched and the delayed ingnition is strong enough to push the door open but no scorching or visual evidence afterward.
GARY C :

It needs cleaned again, something debris wise, is causing it to act up randomly, as it should be every time, i would have the burners cleaned one more time and recheck pilot position

If its moving the door it needs cleaned.
maybe even a burner or two replaced
JACUSTOMER-s5vy9dwl- :

We will call them back in to have that looked at. Can I print out a transcript of this.

GARY C :

Yes do you know how to copy and paste/

JACUSTOMER-s5vy9dwl- :

Yes

GARY C :

Hold down your left mouse button and drag it to turn the conversation blue

right click on the blue text and then right click choose copy.
JACUSTOMER-s5vy9dwl- :

Thanks

GARY C :

Then paste into word or a word program and print.

You're welcome. Good luck!

Thehvacguy
Thehvacguy, LIC HVAC,Plumber
Thehvacguy
Thehvacguy
Thehvacguy, LIC HVAC,Plumber