HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Frigidaire furnace keeps blowing but no heat. 1 red blink.

Panel says limit circuit open...
Frigidaire furnace keeps blowing but no heat. 1 red blink. Panel says limit circuit open or external load on W. the filter is clean. Tried the re-set button. Anything else I can try?
2/16/2013
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

Are you familiar with a rectangle flat plate behind the gas valve that looks like this?

Found it. What's next.
Turn power off...tap the center of the switch 4-5 times. Turn power back on and tell me code

Still 1red blink

Turn power off
Remove the 2 wires.
Hook 2 wires direct together...a small nail or paperclip work well
Do not let the metal touch the furnace cabinet.

turn power on tell me code
Fan comes on. Still 1 red blink
Thank you,

Put wires back on. follow the wires to the next switch , They will be in series and the wires will go from one switch to another. Some may even have a small reset in center.

See page 22 HERE

You will see the limits in series at the top of the schematic.

There was 2 push button resets. Tried that. Still 1 red blink.

Ok, and are your switches connected with blue wires?

Yes
Last test.

The blue wire leaves the plug at circuit board...runs through limit and aux limits and returns on other blue to the plug.

Use a sewing needle and a couple inches from the board pierce the the center of the 2 wires. This bypasses the entire safety circuit for testing and will tell us if we have a bad circuit board or something wrong in the circuit.

Can you do this now?

Tried this. Still have 1 red blink
Thank you.

This verifies a bad circuit board.

There is one very rare condition but we might as well do it to be 100%.

Remove the wires from the R and W on the circuit board where thermostat wires attach.

Use a short jumper or wire and connect R direct to W. Start unit.

Tell me if code remains

The code remains

Thank you for the assistance,

unfortunately we completly bypassed the limit circuit and the code remains which means the circuit board is not reading the return 24v.

This requires replacing the circuit board.

Part is 624631A

Billy

BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech