Jerry, Service Technician
Experience:  HVAC Technician. Hearth Products Specialty
34748161

I have A GOODMAN ASPF313716AA airhander . i have a hvac guy

I have A GOODMAN ASPF313716AA airhander . i have a hvac guy coming in to pumpdown the old refrig so i can replce the airhander .... the hvac guy says that i need a valve for my r22 refrig but the goodman model says it uses both r22 and r410a do i really need this valve or is my unit compatible ?

Jerry :

Welcome to Just Answer.

Jerry :

So you are just replacing the indoor air air handler? What about the coil inside, and the outdoor unit? Are these staying the same?

Customer:

yes replce indoor unit coils are the same

Customer:

hvac tech says that most people dont replace the valve, but hvac says it may not be efficient .... the goodman specs says r22 or r410 refrig .... i dont know what " valve" it has though

Jerry :

What valve is he installing? You will most likely need a filter dryer installed. But if you are using the same coil, and same outdoor unit, there would be no reason to change the refridgerant type,

Jerry :

There are service valves at the outdoor unit, but unless they are leaking, there should be no reason to replace them.

Customer:

right thats what i thought.....this is why i dont trust hvac techs.... when i bought the airhandler it was suppose to be a cut and weld install that is just pumpdown install and re attach. for which obviously i would have hvac do ... but installing the airhandler is a diy job....

Jerry :

There may be a txv thermo expansion valve, sometimes this would be replaced when there is any major work being done to the lineset, because of the possibility that is may get plugged during the brazing etc.

Customer:

im not changing my refrg and i have r22 currently....

Jerry :

Do you think he mentioned txv?

Jerry :

OR reversing valve?

Customer:

i feel im getting a line of BS from the hvac tech ... and he is trying to up the price..... im an educated man and i dont think there is any " valves" for 150$ that need to be replced

Customer:

he didnt mention anything other than a valve i need because i use r22 and the goodman , hvac says, uses r410.... but the specs say it uses both

Jerry :

If them are the reasons he gave, then I think you are right, I would have him explain this a little more before dropping the extra 150.

Jerry :

Sometimes it does make sense to replace things while the system is open, but the reasons don't add up.

Customer:

i dont understand why its not just a cut and connect system .... there doesnt look like anything more needed. hvac says that he has to change the valve inside of the unit and it requires welding and can only be done by hvac... as us " non hvac people" dont have the skills.... he actually said that

Customer:

after i did research on my unit i will be explaining and asking questions about this valve.... why would a seller sell a unit that needed to be " fixed" before you coould use it

Jerry :

There are contaminants in the system that occur when its opened to the air, or when there is brazing welding done, this needs to be purged and care taken, or the system will not work. The only thing I could think that should be installed is a filter/dryer. This will keep the coolant filtered etc.

Jerry :

Also you must have a epa license to handle refrigerants.

Customer:

well i guess but he said he had to get into the actual airhandler and weld a valve to it so i can use r22 refrg that the condsr uses .... that all he said , not much explanation

Customer:

and here i was trying to follow the rules and not just diy ....epa rules and all.... its costing me about 500 $ he quoted .. the service is midway ac in st pete fl. i have to say at least , i am not buying his story .. they also said they done normally " help out " consumers with pump downs but because i used them for the panel upgrade i am VIP and they will make an exception

Jerry :

IF you are not changing the coil, I don't know why he need to change anything, the air handler simply blows air through the coil and to your registers.

Customer:

right thats what im saying...... the hvac should just pumpdown =cut connect = pump up and say thks for the business. the airhandlr syas it uses both r22 and 410 and its brand new from the factory .... i dont think it needs extra valves

Jerry :

IF you are changing the complete indoor assembly including coil, then there may be a different orifice or thermo expansion valve needed since the product is most likely designed or 410 but can be used for 22. The coil part of it needs to match the outdoor cndsr. so when purchased, it should be ready for what is already there.

Jerry :

But I don't know how this was purchased or sized.

Jerry :

If you like, I can opt out, and another expert can give there view on this.

Customer:

ok thks ...... i guess i will just ask the hvac some questions when he comes for pumpdown .... and as usual bend over and then write the check ...... i cant stand hvac ... i should have went to school for that instead of beign a firefighter/paramedic...... thks for your help

Jerry :

LOL!

Jerry :

Ok, if you like I sure don't mind opting out. Unless you want to just ask the guy to explain it a little more.