Drcool
Drcool, HVAC Technician
Experience:  i have been an A/C tech for the past 12 Years. working on window types, split type, and package
11923974

I am relocating the thermostat wires from a control panel (Honeywell

I am relocating the thermostat wires from a control panel (Honeywell PC8900) to the A/C unit but the wires are short, my questions is do I need to run a full cable from the A/C unit to the thermostat in the room or I can just add small pieces of wires to the end of the original thermostat cable in order to reach the terminals inside the unit. I will be using the same wire gauge and colors, but not sure if the joint can affect the resistance or any other effect in the thermostat behavior.

Thanks

Drcool :

Hello, You can add small pieces of wires to each wire with the same gauge and type and color. I suggest you solder each connection if you are worried about resistance getting bigger or a probability of a loose connection. Then make sure you taped all soldered connection to eliminate shorting with each other.

Customer:

Thanks for your response, I was planning just to twist each wire and protectthem with the shrink tubing

Drcool :

Hello, Then you could have a probability of corrosion problem in the future. If you do have a soldering iron, I suggest you solder the connection to make the connection much better, then use the shrink tubes for added protection and insulation.

Customer:

the wires will be in the attic and covered with the shrink tubing, I will joint with the same copper material so I don't think possibility of any galvanic corrosion due to disimilar materials and also protect with the tubing, will protect from external factor, don't you think?

Drcool :

Depending on your location, if you are near salty air, I have seen corrosion on wire connection that were not soldered. If you are far from oceans or sea, then I can say it could be safe to just twist the splice connection. Well, its up to you, mine is just a suggestion.

Customer:

Thanks and I really appreciate your feedback is good to have another opinion, in case going with soldering can I buy a simple welding kit at Lowe's or Home Depot or have to be something more specific?

Customer:

Can I weld with tin?

Drcool :

Not a welding kit. Just a small 100 watts soldering pencil would do the job. Just do not forget the soldering lead, if they sell by the yard, two yards is more than enough to solder 6 leads. And yes, it could be available at home depot. Nothing fancy.

Drcool :

Welding would make the job more complicated.

Customer:

ok understood, thank you very much for your help, have a great day

Drcool :

You too. Thank you for using this service and you are very much welcome.