Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

reprogram desa gas log remote--batteries are good---I looked

Customer Question

reprogram desa gas log remote--batteries are good---I looked up the manual on Desatech.com, but no info in the gas log manual for Model LDL3930NR about troubleshooting the remote. My husband used to know what buttons to press and how to get it to work correctly again, but he has passed away with out teaching it to me.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.

Tim H :

Please do not rate me until we have had a chance to work through a solution. This may take a while. Do not use the ratings to rate the site, just the technician you are working with.

Tim H :

I understand you are having trouble with your fireplace?

Tim H :

Are you there?

Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.

Kathy, It appears you were offline.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tim,

I'm back---I had to go do something, I couldn't wait any longer not knowing how long it would take for a reply----it's 11 P.M. I will stay on line until 11:30 P.M EST (Pennsylvania)

Kathy

Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
Have you replaced the batteries in the remote with fresh ones? Is the pilot lit on your fireplace?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, fresh batteries, yes pilot light is on.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Actually it is just gas logs---Model LDL3930NR serial no. XXXXXXXXX /p>

Kathy

Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
On page 16 of this manual, what happens (if anything) when you follow instructions on operating remote?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I already looked at page 16 of that manual before coming to this site. I know how to work the remote---something is screwed up because the remote isn't sending the message to the logs receiver. I used to see my husband press the buttons a certain way---for example hold one or two down for a number of seconds or such, and then it would work---but he never taught me how to do that, and I never asked. The problem is something with getting the remote to behave, not on how to operate it----I understand it's functions.

Kathy

Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
I understand. It could have nothing to do with the remote. It could be the receiver. Or another possibility is that the millivolt circuit that your fireplace operates on is too weak to cause the main burner to come on. Which would mean a new thermopile.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I don't think so----I think there is interference somewhere with the remote----it worked just two days ago, and I can get down on my knees and turn the flame on manually----it's something with the innerds of the remote----I guess I need an electronic tech kind of site? Do you think? Also I have the same gas logs in the livingroom, with another of the same type of remote---and it would operated both of the rooms, but if I accidently used the other one, they would screw up after awhile, which leads me to believe it is the internal working of the remotes. Does that shed any light onto the matter?

Kathy

Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
Both the remote and the receiver need batteries. Did your replace the batteries in the receiver, as well?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, batteries in the receiver too. I'm wondering why the manual has no trouble shooting at all for the remote? Hey, well, nothing against you, but I have to go to bed, for I work tomorrow and have to get up at 0430. I'll just pay the $5, and thanks for your help.

I'll wait for one more answer from you.

Kathy

Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
OK. Then if remote is communicating with the receiver and it still doesn't come on, you'd probably need a tech to troubleshoot the millivolt circuit. Because that is how this whole system works.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
If you didn't want to pay because we weren't able to work through this, that's one thing. But why the negative rating? I tried to help you as best I could....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, I didn't know that rating would be directly to your service. You tried, but this site wasn't able to give me an electronic type tech, which after talking, I guess that is what I needed. So I didn't want to pay $50 and thought I had to pick that smiley face. I'll write a letter to say you did what you could.

Kathy

Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
Just amend the rating, if you want. I did try to help as much as I can, but troubleshooting a millivolt system requires a millivolt meter and some knowledge of electrical concepts. I thought we had gone as far as we could, I guess.
Expert:  V12Tech replied 4 years ago.
Select the "clock" or "stopwatch" icon on the left side of the screen.
Press the - (Minus) key 10 times slowly.
You will see a 3 digit code. This should read 005.
If it does not read 005 change it using the up or down key.
When you are done press the - (Minus) key to return.
Do not press the + (Plus) key while in the secondary screen or you will turn your remote to Celsius reading.
You also want to make sure the DIP switches are in the correct position on the receiver.
1 and 3 up and all of the rest in the down position.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 4 years ago.
V12 tech can work with you if he wants on this question since I opted out. This is the ONLY time another tech can come in on a question unless his answer is drastically different from the posted response.