Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

How do I turn off the hot water supply from the Amtrol Boiler?

I need to turn off the hot water from the Amtrol Boiler mate. Model WH-7P. Which shut off will stop the hot water from going into the house?

Rickheatdoc :

Welcome, I will do my best to help you with your issue

JACUSTOMER-gjioens3- :

thanks.

Rickheatdoc :

Every Boiler mate is piped a little differently. So you need to find the shut of on the cold water line that feeds the tank

JACUSTOMER-gjioens3- :

Ok. I know where that is.

Rickheatdoc :

It's probably the only pipe with a shut off that connects to the tank

JACUSTOMER-gjioens3- :

There are many shut offs all over the plumbing in that set up. The plumber was a little nuts when the house was built.

Rickheatdoc :

The only other lines that connect to the Boilermate that might have shut offs are the circulating lines between the boiler and the tank

Rickheatdoc :

I suppose it's possible that there's also a shut off on the hot water out of the tank but that would be very unusual

JACUSTOMER-gjioens3- :

Ok. So if I turn off the main supply of cold water from the street, I can then drain the line going to the bathroom sink? We are in the middle if changing the copper pipe to fit a new vanity.

Rickheatdoc :

If you shut of the main shut off from the street then that will shut off all the water to the house. If you want to just kill the hot water you shut off the valve on the cold water line into the tank

JACUSTOMER-gjioens3- :

Will that prevent hot water from leaving the hot water tank?

Rickheatdoc :

Yes but you'll have to open a hot water faucet (just hot) and let the pressure dissipate in order to stop the water from coming out of the tank. If you're working on a hot water pipe then it's best to open a hot water (only) faucet that's at a lower level than the pipe you're working on

JACUSTOMER-gjioens3- :

Ok. Then I should run the kitchen hot water to drain the line. Once it stops I can cut the pipe? Correct?

JACUSTOMER-gjioens3- :

Unfortunately all the water is on the same floor of the house.

Rickheatdoc :

Yes, but since it's all on the same floor be prepared to catch some water (not a whole lot) when you cut the pipe

JACUSTOMER-gjioens3- :

Fair enough. I will have towels ready.

Rickheatdoc :

You might want to have a bucket handy to catch the water, but towels may be enough

JACUSTOMER-gjioens3- :

Buckets are good too.

Rickheatdoc :

Anything else I can do for you related to this issue?

JACUSTOMER-gjioens3- :

No. that's it. Thank you.

Rickheatdoc :

You're welcome

Thanks for using Just Answer