airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a rheem heat pump. Outside unit isnt running. Led 1

Customer Question

I have a rheem heat pump. Outside unit isn't running. Led 1 is off, led 2 is flashing. How do I fix it? Do i justneed to put a new filter in?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 4 years ago.

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX do my best to assist you.ANSWERS ARE NOT ALWAYS ONE LINERS.PLEASE HIT THE REPLY BUTTON FOR FURTHER ASSISTANCE.

Can you look on the front of the unit and give me the model so I can pull a manual.It will be something like RHSL HM3617JA or similar. Also model on outdoor.It will be something like RPKB037JAZ or similar.We will go from there

Also tell me if the flash code is at indoor or outdoor unit.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

outside model rpne 024jaz

Where are you getting flash code? At indoor unit? What is model of indoor unit

If you are referring to a flash code on the defrost board in outdoor unit,Please verify that you are looking at LEDs right. There is no code for #1 Off and #2 flashing. We will go from here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it said on chart on outside unit low pressure switch. that is what led code chart said.

My chart shows Low pressure switch to be #1 ON and #2 Flashing. If it is a low pressure issue, this is going to be one of a few things. Dirty filter or indoor coil causing low air flow, system may be low on refrigerant, or you can have a restriction in the refrigerant circuit such as a stuck txv(metering device) or reversing valve.

Do you happen to have access to a set of gauges to connect to the unit? And if you turn power off to unit, then back on, will it start and run at all, for even a few seconds?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i tried turning off and on and it didn't do anything. i have no gauges. I thought i put new filter in a coupleof months ago. Had same issue in march. Expert like yourself said it was probably low refrigerant. So i called local HVAC and they came out and it was working when they got here and said it wasn't low on refrigerant. I'll just have to call them again.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it is an outside unit with unit in attic to heat/cool upstairs of house. It is late here and don't want to wake daughter up by walking around looking at unit in attic. thought maybe i could get it going for tonight with a simple fix.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it is an outside unit with unit in attic to heat/cool upstairs of house. It is late here and don't want to wake daughter up by walking around looking at unit in attic. thought maybe i could get it going for tonight with a simple fix. Thanks anyways. Starting to rain hard here and don't want to get soaked. I'll just hope it cools off tonight and doesn't get to stuffy.

I understand your frustration.I would turn the power off to both units. Make sure the filter is clean so air flow is not restricted.Then turn power and thermostat back on and see if unit will come on.If not, it will be necessary to connect a set of refrigerant gauges to the unit to check the charge and see what is going on.Low freon is a good possibility.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

had local service come. He said it might be a faulty circuit board. He is getting a new one and going to install it. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for allowing me to work with you and thanks for the update. Let me know what happens.