HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

What does error 90 mean on a Trane thermostat?

Regarding the error code 90, there are hundreds of them for Trane systems and they change for each model and year over the decades. About half the time the error code is useful, the other half of the time it’s too vague to be useful or simply wrong.

We can discuss this. It will help if you can give me the Model number from the Trane unit that sits outside, and Trane unit that sits inside. (furnace or air hander) and the approximate age of the system, and how it is performing or not performing.

Read full interaction below »

What does  error 90 mean on a Trane thermostat?

7/26/2012
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 6 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

.

xl20i

That appears to be a water source heat pump.

If it not cooling or heating at all, the error code is likely a high head pressure or low back pressure switched tripped, due to a vapor locked ground loop.

.