HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My Rudd Power Vent 40 gal hot water heater will not heat.

Customer Question
Shows a code of 2...
My Rudd Power Vent 40 gal hot water heater will not heat. Shows a code of 2 - 3. Have powered down system and went through start up procedure. Vent runs and then shuts down with same trouble code.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: HVAC
5/3/2012
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 5 years ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Rickheatdoc :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you with your problem

Rickheatdoc :

What do you mean by a code of 2-3?

JACUSTOMER-hwe5ds4s- :

the trouble code that is displayed on the control

Rickheatdoc :

Ok, so you have an LED that blinks twice, pauses then blinks 3 times then repeats? There are many different gas valve LED configurations if I don't know which one you have I'm in the dark

JACUSTOMER-hwe5ds4s- :

yes. That is correct. It says it is the LVD circuit is failed/miswired

Rickheatdoc :

Do you have a model number for the heater?

JACUSTOMER-hwe5ds4s- :

not handy. I'll get it.

Rickheatdoc :

ok

JACUSTOMER-hwe5ds4s- :

PVP 40F

Rickheatdoc :

Give me a minute to see if I can find a spec.

Rickheatdoc :

Do you have a hot surface ignitor (HSI) a glow plug? or a pilot with electronic ignition? if the latter you should hear a ticking noise when it tries to light.

JACUSTOMER-hwe5ds4s- :

I believe it is an HSI.. I do not hear clicking. I did note now that when trying to restart, it flashes 2 - 1 and then shuts down and flashes 2 - 3.

Rickheatdoc :

I'm not seeing any documentation with the code pattern you describe. How old is the heater?

JACUSTOMER-hwe5ds4s- :

It is 6 years old. Thinking back I believe this happened before. It has a gas sensor and once it is tripped there is a sequence of moving the temperature control dial back and forth that resets it.

Rickheatdoc :

That's a flammable vapor lockout

Rickheatdoc :

Does your gas valve have a dial? have there been any vapors of any kind flammable or otherwise in the area?

JACUSTOMER-hwe5ds4s- :

It has a dial. There are no kind of vapors that have been present that I am aware of, nor are there any flammable liquids present. We did have a power interruption during the night.

Rickheatdoc :

Ok, you can try this reset procedure.Turn the water temp dial to VACATION, pull the plug, wait 30 secs, rotate the temp dial from VACTION to HOT as many as 6 times

Rickheatdoc :

Plug the unit back in after 30 seconds

Rickheatdoc :

then rotate the dial

JACUSTOMER-hwe5ds4s- :

Plug the unit back in and rotate the dial to where?

Rickheatdoc :

all the way down then all the way up then back again as many as 6 times

Rickheatdoc :

from vacation to hot

JACUSTOMER-hwe5ds4s- :

Got that, you then said "plug the unit back in after 30 seconds then rotate the dial..."

Rickheatdoc :

yes

JACUSTOMER-hwe5ds4s- :

Rick, You said to pull the plug when in the vacation position wait 30 seconds. rotate the dial from vac to hot as many as 6 times. THEN plug the unit back in after 30 seconds and rotate the dial.

Rickheatdoc :

turn it to vacation, then pull the plug, wait 30 seconds then plug it back in then rotate dial all the way up then all the way down as many as 6 times

JACUSTOMER-hwe5ds4s- :

Ok I'll try, but that's not what you wrote. I'll be back.

JACUSTOMER-hwe5ds4s- :

That does not work.

Rickheatdoc :

Since none of the specs I can access shows a valve with that type of trouble code sequencing there isn't much more I can do. I have one other suspect based on the way the unit is behaving. You will have to locate the draft pressure switch on top of the heater (it's part of the fan assembly). It has a small vacuum tube attached

Rickheatdoc :

If you can find it unplug the unit then try disconnecting one of the leads to the switch then plug it back in again. If the fan keeps running reconnect the lead to the switch

Rickheatdoc :

I'm thinking the draft pressure switch may be stuck closed and the heater won't continue the sequence if it is stick closed

JACUSTOMER-hwe5ds4s- :

I'll give it a try. I know what you are saying. Be right back.

JACUSTOMER-hwe5ds4s- :

That seems to be ok. I can't hear the draft pressure switch disengage after the fan shuts off

Rickheatdoc :

If you tired what I suggested with disconnecting the switch lead then that's all I got. Not much more I can do with no spec.

JACUSTOMER-hwe5ds4s- :

ok thanks

Rickheatdoc :

I'll opt out maybe one of my colleagues has another way to approach this

HVAC Technician: Walt-mod,
 replied 5 years ago
Walt-mod
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Please cancel the question.

Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor