HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Oil furnace won't come on. The green light is flashing.

Customer Question
Oil furnace won't come on...

Oil furnace won't come on, the green light is flashing. Plenty of oil in the tank, we have had very warm weather so it was turned very low for a few days. Did this mess something up?

Optional Information:
Make: Frigidaire
Model: 50 esp

Already Tried:
just turning up the heat to make the unit kick in, doesn't work

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: HVAC
3/24/2012
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 5 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Try pressing the reset button on the right hand side of the burner assembly..see if the unit resets

I press the reset button, it starts up but then stops again and the green light starts flashing again.

Thank you...

this means no flame is apprearing...or the parts that see the flame are not working.

Can you tell you if you actually have flame or just the burner motor runs without flame
I don't see any flame...i think the burner is running with out it. should i try the reset again?

This means no ignition.

We don't know if oil if being sprayed into the pot or not.

How much hands on are you comfortable with?

pretty comfortable I think
Do you know where the fuel line comes into the furnace..it is a 3/8's copper tube (usually).

This attaches to the oil pump...on the oil pump is a rounded head nut called a bleeder. Look and see if you can identify that..graphic
Yep I see it clearly.
Great...get a small bottle or pail....loosen the nut 3-4 turns.

Start the furnace or push reset if needed. Running the furnace with the bleeder open should show if we have fuel and bleed any air if present....do this until the unit faults or the flame starts...then tell me result. If flame starts leave running and screw in the bleeder nut.
OK, did as you asked, pressed the reset button, it started up then stopped as it did before and now the light is flashing again. Nothing kicked in. I tightened the nut again as i didn't want to leave it dripping while I replied to you.
no fuel sprayed out?
No no spray.....I know what you are talking about now, I did have to have it restarted when the tank went try once....it sprayed which I guess is air... this time no spray really, just dripped..
Ok,

This means the following...

No oil available
Plugged oil filter
Bad oil pump

So either no oil is present to pump....there is oil but it is blocked....or the pump cannot move any oil.

Next step is to see if oil in tank and oil filter clear.

Without oil pressure gages you will not be able to see if pump is bad....all you can do is make sure oil is there and oil filter clean...after that you would need to call a tech to check pump pressure.

Billy
well there certainly is oil so I guess it's one of the other two. Thanks for your information.
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech