HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I need information on the brand amana made by goodman. what

Customer Question
I need information on the...
I need information on the brand amana made by goodman. what are the consumer reports on this this brand of central air and heating unit
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: HVAC
Relist: Other.
i did not get answer. no one responded to my queston
2/24/2012
HVAC Technician: MattR757, HVAC Technician replied 5 years ago
MattR757
MattR757, HVAC Technician

Amana models that start with a G are manufactured by Goodman. Goodman has redeemed itself after a miserable 10 years and since around 2002 has a pretty decent product with few issues and a very competitive warranty program. They tend to be a little louder and have a slightly shorter expected life than the higher end manufacturers but my impression overall is that they can be a good value if installed and maintained properly.

Amana models starting with A are not manufactured by Goodman and parts and literature can be hard to find as Amana is very proprietary as part of their commitment to their exclusive dealers. If you know and trust an Amana dealer true Amana units are very competitive and of high quality. There are a lot of complaints about Amana on the web but if you read into them a little it's clear that the issue is the closed door approach to support and not directly related to product quality.

I'm not sure of where Amana rates on the Consumer Reports list, I'd guess that they are in the top 8 or 9. That said, I'm not convinced that Consumer Reports is the best measure for HVAC equipment. There are too many variables in the industry that can affect equipment performance and reliability once it is installed.

Side note: - I have had complaints and problems with Rheem/Ruud units too numerous to mention. I hope you've had a good run with yours but, in residential applications it seems like we're trying to repair one every day.

HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 5 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX do my best to answer your question.Remember, you are not charged and I am not paid until you accept my answer.

Sorry I was away from computer when you requested me.I sell Rheem/Ruud , Goodman and Amana units.The Amana and Goodman are both manufactured by the same company.Amana wanted to sell out and concentrate on military products.Goodman had previously operated under the trade name of Janitrol.Upon acquiring the Amana trade name, they agreed that every product they manufacture would be up to previous standards of Amana.

I understand that purchasing a new central A/C system today can be mind boggling due to all the brands and choices.One thing to keep in mind is that nearly every manufacturer uses the same brand components.Such as compressors made by Copeland,,Tecumseh or Bristol.Fans made by GE,Emersron,Dayton and Fasco,Controls and valves by Honeywell, Parker,Robertshaw,and White Rodgers.

With that said, if you ask 100 people what AC system is best, XXXXX XXXXX get a different answer from almost every one.One guy pays 10,000 for a new Trane and it turns out to be a lemon and one guy pays 6,000 for a Goodman's and it seems to last forever without any problems.

Most every name brand now carries a 10 year parts warranty.The Amana compares to Rheem/Ruud as for as price goes.The Goodman standard line is less expensive.Goodman makes a little sturdier and nicer looking cabinet and add a few extras like sound blanket on compressors on the Amana line.AS for as components, nearly every part in the Amana unit is the same part as used in the Goodman unit.As for service and parts, any licensed HVAC contractor can get parts.

Trane , Carrier and Lennox are all dealer specific, meaning you have to use authorized dealers for parts for their units and initial cost is also usually higher for these units.

The most important issue is having the unit properly sized and properly installed.90 per cent of noise issues, performance issues and failure issues are related to an improper or poor installation.

With all of this said, the Amana is excellent unit and definitely one of the best units for the money.Goodman also offers a 10 year labor warranty on both the Goodman Standard and the Amana line of equipment (usually around 300 bucks or less).This is a wise investment as since nearly all manufactures are purchasing components from outside of the U.S.. you will most likely have something fail within 10 years ,regardless of brand.(One motor,compressor,control board,coil,expansion valve ,etc. can cost you that much in labor.)

Hope info is helpful. If so, please remember to hit the Accept button by my answer.

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician