HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My Luxaire Furnace Is Blowing Cold Air With 7 Red Flashes On It.

Customer Question
My Luxaire furnace is set...

My Luxaire furnace is set to heat but it is blowing cold air and the red blinking light blinks for 7 times. I have no idea as to what any of this means?

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: HVAC
2/11/2012
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 5 years ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
gotoman for ac :

Turn the power off to furnace and wait for 30 seconds. Then, turn back on to retry the furnace. Let me know if it goes through a sequence of operation. The small fan starts for 15 to 20 seconds, the igniter glows for 10 seconds and the burner lights up.

JACUSTOMER-bxuv0hnk- :

okay, trying now.

gotoman for ac :

7 flashes mean the flames were not sensed. Will try to relight and go into one hour lockout.

JACUSTOMER-bxuv0hnk- :

What does that mean exactly?

JACUSTOMER-bxuv0hnk- :

Still blinking 7 times. Does that mean I need a new element? Or is my furnace completely shot?

gotoman for ac :

The furnaces tries to light up but the flame sensor does not sense a flame. If you look at burners you will see a small sensor inserted into the burner. It is a very thick wire and has one lead attached. This is the sensor. Remove the sensor, clean it with sand paper and reinstall. Retry the furnace. This is a common problem. The sensor gets corroded and will not sense flame.

No try to clean the sensor first.
JACUSTOMER-bxuv0hnk- :

I dont know where to look for the sensor?

gotoman for ac :

If you look at the burners, it will be on the left side. You will see one wire attached to the spade terminal.

JACUSTOMER-bxuv0hnk- :

There is nothing on the left. On the right, there are 2 wires, 1 on top and 1 at the bottom. Now the light is blinking 5 times.

gotoman for ac :

Give me a moment to check the code.

That is roll-out switch open. Look on top of the burner for a small disk about size of a quarter. It will have a reset button. Reset and retry the furnace.

JACUSTOMER-bxuv0hnk- :

There is no small disk. However, I am giving the model number, in case it helps. The model number is G9T06010UPB13C.

HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 5 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

Is this furnace at the supplied link your unit?

http://www.master.ca/documents/G9T-UPRepairsParts-0204.pdf

I don't know anything about furnaces.

I understand.

I was showing you a picture of where all the parts are to assist you. I will not ask you to do anything involved.

Did you click the link?

Item 6 is what we are looking for; just a tiny button to press for elimination.

I pressed the button.

Thank you!

Now, what is the code?

Sorry for the delay, just giving it a minute. Well it's back to flashing 7 times.

Thank you.

Now this part is just observation. Turn the power off and back on.
Watch the sequence. I need to know if you see a glow in the flame box or if the flame appears briefly.

No flame

It appears we are having an issue with the ignition. This could be a cracked ignitor.

Unfortunately if not familiar with this type of repair it is best left for a service technician.

But it appears to be a bad ignitor.

Would that also explain, why the code light is back at flashing 5 times?

You would have to have flame for 5 to appear. That means there was flame present and it tripped a heat sensor. Are you positive that no flame was present?

Would I see flame where the little window is in the burner unit?

Yes....the flame would be visible through the window.

Did the code change back when you pressed the tiny button?

BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech