HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a Buderus propane furnace Model GB142-45. A few days…

Customer Question
I have a Buderus propane...
I have a Buderus propane furnace Model GB142-45. A few days ago it stopped working and was flashing 6L on the screen. I temporarily shut off power and put back on and it worked fine. This morning I got up and it was flashing 6C and the furnace wasn't working. Again I temporarily shut off the power and when I put the power back on the furnace started working fine again. According to the manual I have a 6C could mean that the UBA is defective. What do you think is going on? Also, my boiler, etc has not been serviced or cleaned for 5 years. Is this some thing I can do......I'm quite mechanically inclined and do all of my own car repairs. If it's the UBA where is a good place to purchase it and is that something I can install myself with you walking me thru it? Thank you. John Wanner  PS....I will be away from my computer for about an hour.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/11/2012
HVAC Technician: Tim H., HVAC Professional replied 6 years ago
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help! You might have a bad board. According to this manual, a 6L code means "the flame went out during the heating phase" and a 6C means "ionization measured before burner start" which shouldn't happen.

I am also looking at my manual which also tells solution. 6L means gas supply dropped during operation or short in recttifying rod. 6C solution is to replace UBA. It doesn't say any thing about having a bad board. I don't want to replace a high price item without knowing for sure. What do you show for price of UBA. What about answers to my other questions. Are you able to walk me thru repair or will you just be looking at manual the same as I can?

HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 6 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Hello, let me know if you still need help. Ive coached a few hundred people through repairs on Buderus boilers..but its been on many different models and types.

In your case the problem is likely caused by an electrical leak at the rectifier rod base, generally carbon build up creating an electrical path from the rod, across the ceramic base to ground.

Cleaning that would be the first step. Odds are in the 90% range that will work. If it fails then replace the rod. both error codes can be caused from that single very common fault.

Replacement of the rod is straight forward, let me know if you end up needing coaching on that.

We can go from there until this resolves. Phil
Sorry but I've been out of town. I needed to get my furnace working so on Thursday I cleanned every thing per my manual. It seems to be working. Your info on Friday came late but I'm willing to pay $20 for your effort. I made a down of $60 so should get $40 returned to my credit card. Thanks. John Wanner
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer