HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

My central heating keeps shutting off and not coming back on.

I'm having to unplug it...
My central heating keeps shutting off and not coming back on. I'm having to unplug it and wait a minute then plug back in to get it to work again.
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/25/2011
M Oglesby
M Oglesby, HVAC Technician

M Oglesby :

When is the last time you changed the filter?

Customer:

I clean it monthly it's a the type you clean with water you know those expensive filters

M Oglesby :

Have you checked the batteries in the thermostat?

Customer:

yes replaced batteries same issues I just took the batteries out to let it run on electrical power like 10 minutes ago just waiting to see how it runs

M Oglesby :

Is it running now?

Customer:

yes but sometimes it goes off and I got to unplug it and replug so I don't know how long it will run before it shuts down it varies daily one day it would run all day one day it would run 5 minutes and quit

M Oglesby :

When it shuts off this time, go to the furnace and look to see if there are any flashing lights on the furnace control board. If so, what pattern are they flashing in? 1 flash pause, 2 flash pause, etc...?

Customer:

ok I have seen green light you are talking about when it shuts off there are no lights at all no flashing whatsoever

Customer:

I've had the filter since 2008 I thought it would last forever as long as I clean it monthly or does that need to be replaced too?

M Oglesby :

The filter should be fine as long as you are cleaning it monthly and cleaning it good.

Customer:

ok

M Oglesby :

It sounds like you are having a power failure somewhere.

M Oglesby :

Make sure the furnace doors are secure.

Customer:

I have the furnace door that goes on the bottom still there took it off a few times to look and put it back in pretty good and the top one I left off to look at the furnace to see if it's running I thought maybe it was getting to hot and I left the door door open too doesn't help

M Oglesby :

The bottom door holds a power cut off switch in.

M Oglesby :

Are you familiar with this switch?

Customer:

yes I see it it's like a push thing almost like the refridgerator

M Oglesby :

I suspect that this switch has a short in it.

M Oglesby :

I say that because you said when the furnace cuts off, there are no lights on the control board.

M Oglesby :

There should always be a light on the control board indicating power.

Customer:

ok I see interesting .... replace switch? is it easy to do myself?

M Oglesby :

I first want you to make sure, that when the furnace shuts off, that there are no lights on the control board.

Customer:

none whatsoever

M Oglesby :

Next time it shuts off, try pushing this switch and see if the furnace control board lights up.

Customer:

ok will do and if nothing happens ... what then?

M Oglesby :

I will have to give it some thought.

Customer:

well does that mean if I still have issues I can still come back to you or I got to pay another $45?

M Oglesby :

After hitting ACCEPT, you can access me for up to 30 days at no additional charge.

Customer:

that's great ... ok I'll do that until I know for sure this issue is resolved I appreciate it and thank you

M Oglesby :

You are welcome

Customer:

Merry Christmas

M Oglesby :

Happy Holidays!

M Oglesby
M Oglesby, HVAC Technician
M Oglesby
M Oglesby
M Oglesby, HVAC Technician