HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

replaced old thermostat with honeywell rth2300/rth221 series

Customer Question
thermostat on a heat only...
replaced old thermostat with honeywell rth2300/rth221 series thermostat on a heat only peerless oil burner system. Only two wires white and red.White attached to W, Red wire attached to R. All seems fine except regardless of temperature setting on thermostat heat goes to 73 degrees. Tried reversing wires, no difference. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: HVAC
12/12/2011
HVAC Technician: Rick, HVAC Supervisor replied 6 years ago
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Rickheatdoc :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rickheatdoc :

You had the thermostat wired right. The problem may not be in the thermostat

Rickheatdoc :

what happens when the thermostat is set higher than the room temp?

Customer:

it indicates heat on and the heat turns on

Rickheatdoc :

then what happens, does the temp go up to the set point ?

Customer:

yes

Rickheatdoc :

then I don't understand your question

Rickheatdoc :

what's the problem?

Customer:

if thermostat is set below 73 temp. it maintains temp at 73

Customer:

it will go hotter but not cooler

Customer:

old white rodgers thermostat worked fine

Rickheatdoc :

Then the most likely cause is a defective thermostat. There are other system related issues that can make the temp override but you seem to be ruling that out

Customer:

ok thanks

Rickheatdoc :

the only way to verify this is to check the thermostat continuity at the boiler when it's set for a lower temp then overrrides

Rickheatdoc :

if there still is continuity across the thermostat leads at the boiler when the stat should be satisfied then the stat is faulty

Customer:

whole heating system is brand new and other zones work fine

Rickheatdoc :

then a bad stat is the most likely culprit

Customer:

ok thanks i will replace it. thanks again

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor