airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Pilot switch fails to ignite my Heatilator Model GNDC36

Customer Question

I have a Heatilator Model GNDC36. The switch fails to ignite the fireplace. It has worked for several years, but no longer. This happened in the past. At that time I disconnected the switch at the wall and reconnected. That seemed to work for a couple of years. Now it won't do anything. The pilot light is kept on year around. I turned the pilot light off and restarted it, as well as, vaccuming all the dust out of there. Any suggestions.

Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 5 years ago.

airheatman :

Heatilator says that if after repeated triggering of the ignition button the pilot does not light, Verify your gas is on and the gas pressure is right, check the gap at the electrode and make sure the gap between electrode and pilot is 1/8 inch. If still does not ignite, you need to replace the igniter. If you are controlling the unit with a remote thermostat, disconnect the wires at the thermostat and touch them together. If igniter lights by touching wires together, replace the thermostat.

JACUSTOMER :

How much for the igniter and where to get it?

The unit was installed by the builder. It just turns on by the wall switch. I don't believe there is any thermostat installed.

airheatman :

The igniter should have a number on it. If so, you can Google the part number to find online. Or you can Google Heatilator replacement parts.

Do you hear the ignitor clicking?

JACUSTOMER :

No sounds what so ever. The builder left no manual for this unit. I believe I should be able to get a manual online, and diagrams?

airheatman :

You do have the gas control turned to ON and not Pilot don't you?

JACUSTOMER :

Yes

airheatman :

Have you tried jumping the switch at wall?

JACUSTOMER :

Jumping? Touching the two wires together? no I have not

airheatman :

Correct

JACUSTOMER :

I will try that right quick.

Nothing. No sound, no ignition.

airheatman :

It sounds like igniter is bad. Is there a control module in fireplace

JACUSTOMER :

Control Module? The wires run from the wall and end directly in front of the pilot switch.

airheatman :

Some have a module that allow remote control of the fireplace

JACUSTOMER :

I have only the wall switch to turn the unit on and off.

airheatman :

I was looking for a manual, but haven't found one. What series is it and about how old? I am not finding by model number

JACUSTOMER :

It is ten years old. I don't know what series it is but here is the info I was able to get Serial number ga673543 model GNDC36

airheatman :

It might be hard finding the manual on one that old

JACUSTOMER :

Should I just get a new one? There site doesn't even list it any more. I am under the impression this is the most basic (shitty) model. Love builders

airheatman :

I didn't see it listed either. I am suspecting the igniter itself, but hate not being able to look at a manual, tomorrow make sure there isn't a fuse link or internal control that could be bad.

JACUSTOMER :

Okay. I am going to search for some diagrams that might help diagnose this. If not, I'll just have to get a new one. Thanks for helping. Have a great Thanksgiving.

airheatman :

It is undoubtedly a discontinued model. The only honest answer I could provide, would be to have you contact Heatilator or one of their dealers to see if part is available and if there is a way to get a manual.

Thanks for letting me work with you. Happy Thanksgiving to you.