HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have oil hot air furnace it blows black smoke thru chimn

Customer Question
ey...
I have oil hot air furnace it blows black smoke thru chimn ey
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: HVAC
11/18/2011
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 6 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

This is a sign of incomplete combustion. If not taken care of soon you have a sooted furnace requiring some serious service.

When was last nozzle change and tunep?

Last week,and cleaned the duct that goes from furnace to chimney.

Ok,

Then worse case is the electrode settings are not right or air mix is too light. Black smokey exhaust is too much fule to air ratio.

If you adjust the air too allow more in you will see it start to clean up. Flame shuld be bright yellow/white....not orange and smokey.

Billy

how do you do that.

On the left side of the burner gun between the oil pump and the black box transformer is a collar that wraps around an air slot. It is under where the oil line goes into gun from oil pump. You loosen a set screw and you can turn the collar forward or backward to adjust air mix...watch the flame while doing this and you will see it either get brighter or dark and smokey.

Of course the proper way is to have a oil burner man take readings from stack in a smoke test...then the air is adjusted to efficiency.

could it be the oil is bad or is their something you add to the oil tank to keep oil clean.

Number one cause is air mix.

BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech