HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a goodman ar30-1 heat pump. The blower was not working,

Customer Question
I have a goodman ar30-1...
I have a goodman ar30-1 heat pump. The blower was not working, but the heat exchanger was hot. The capacitor was testing bad. Replaced the capacitor, now fan blows, outside unit fan blows, but no heat. Echange coils not even getting warm.

Any ideas?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: HVAC
11/1/2011
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 6 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician

airheatman :

What is the number on your outdoor unit?

JACUSTOMER-ro32w84o- :

Model number?

airheatman :

yes

airheatman :

Is it also Goodman

JACUSTOMER-ro32w84o- :

Oe minute . . .

JACUSTOMER-ro32w84o- :

Yes. Goodman CPLE30-1. It was working fine for the past few years . . .

airheatman :

Ok when you turn the thermostat to heat, both indoor blowers are coming on,corretct?

airheatman :

I mean both the indoor bloer and the outdoor fan

airheatman :

sorry about that

JACUSTOMER-ro32w84o- :

Yes. Both are coming on. One other note. My downsairs unit is a Goodman AR-24. I used that capacitor to test the upstairs unit. Is there a differnece in the capacitor and could that be the problem?

airheatman :

Not the problem

airheatman :

But are they same mfd rating

airheatman :

5/370?

JACUSTOMER-ro32w84o- :

VG. thanks.

JACUSTOMER-ro32w84o- :

the capacitor?

airheatman :

or 7.5/370

airheatman :

yes

airheatman :

Ok

airheatman :

not hurting anything

airheatman :

We need to see if the compressor is coming on

JACUSTOMER-ro32w84o- :

The one I took out was a 7.5 / 370.

JACUSTOMER-ro32w84o- :

(The bad one)

airheatman :

Do you have an amp meter or volt meter

JACUSTOMER-ro32w84o- :

I do.

airheatman :

Can you go to outdoor unit and lest verify wheter compressor is running?

JACUSTOMER-ro32w84o- :

other than the fan blowing, how do I test the compressor?

airheatman :

You can remove the corner panel and I will walk you through it

JACUSTOMER-ro32w84o- :

pretty dark. Let me know what you'll need me to do, so I know if I'll be able to get it done tonight.

Issue is my father is here, and ill. I'll need to either get it fixed, or call someone in.

JACUSTOMER-ro32w84o- :

Take me thru the highlights.

airheatman :

When you get to outdoor unit, first feel the air blowing out top of unit.It should be notcibly colder than the outdoor air temp.Al;so you should here the deep noise of the compressor running. if not on either of above, remove the corner panel.Verify 230 volts going in and coming out of contactors.If good, check the dual capacitor in outdoor unit on the compressor to common terminals(Power disconnected of course) and wires unplugged from capacitor.If capacitor within 5 per cent of rating, look for wire burned going to compressor.Let me know what you find and we can go from there.

JACUSTOMER-ro32w84o- :

Ummmm . . . . . it just started blowing hot again.

JACUSTOMER-ro32w84o- :

My guess is there is a thermal switch that took a long time to reset.

JACUSTOMER-ro32w84o- :

(Just a guess . . . with the fan not blowing and the comoressor putting out heat . . .)

JACUSTOMER-ro32w84o- :

(Emphasis on LONG time . . . over an hour)

airheatman :

It is possible that the compressor was of on internal overdload and finally reset.Hope information was elpful

JACUSTOMER-ro32w84o- :

It was. thanks. Any way for a partial payment?

I wish there was.Thanks for allowing me to assist you

airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician