HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

my oil furnace ignights then runs a few seconds then goes out

Customer Question
changed the filters and nozel...
my oil furnace ignights then runs a few seconds then goes out changed the filters and nozel still no difrent
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/30/2011
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 6 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Is there actually flame for the few seconds or not..?
Yes there is flame for a few seconds then it goes out. then pops the reset button.

Have you cleaned the cad cell eye?

Replaced it
Have you jumped F and F as soon as the flame lights and see if it burns longer?

dont know what you meaning jumping F and F .

On the primary control..the cad cell wires mount to F and F. At start up F and F must read open (dark) but to continue once flame lights F is conected to F by the light picked up in cad cell.

Jumping F to F simulates flame and eliminates the cad cell. Then we can tell if it is primary control or cad cell.

I can do that but i replaced the Eye and the oil burner control with the button you reset.but still it burns for a few then shuts of again.

There are only 2 things that fault the control.....no flame to see or the parts that see flame dont recognize it. Many mistake the sound of the burner as actual flame...try jumping F to F BUT make sure there is flame present.

Let me know.

k but i actually saw the flame thru the Eye holes i wil go jump it now. back to you in few.

Standing by

When i jumped it didnt ignight or run.

You have to jump it AFTER the flame is present..

have jumper ready..

start furnace

verify flame

jump F and F

If F and F is jumped before flame present nothing will turn on.

k i will go try again.

standing by

It went out again same as before

Thank you.

This bypassed flame and cad cell.

Either the control is wired wrong or not right part or is defective,

The only parts involved in this process are flame, cad cell, primary control.

We eliminated cad cell and flame. The primary control has a issue.

this is a new contoler and can understand that it might have fault. but the other one worked fine until i changed the filter and nozzle then it started doing this so i replaced the eye, the new controller thinking it was bad. then to the internet still same thing . not much to these things but thought sombody else might have somthing i missed thanks anyways.

You are right about not much to them so dont overthink the issue.

You can bang your head wondering...but with the bypass we did it has to be contoller or wiring.

Billy are you anywhere close to Slippery Rock PA.Because i have replaced pretty much everything i can rewired it the same as it was with new and it was working fine till i changed the filter and nozzle changed for the heating season. if you are i will give you my address and you can fix it. because it has me at wits end and it was a little chilley this weekend

Unfortunately I am many miles away.. what control did you install?

Honeywell Tradeline R184G 4009

Protectorerelay Oil Burner Control

is the cad cell a c554a?

the only number on the box is 130367

Ok,

I just went over everything..the wiring as you saw was pretty simple...and by having flame then jumping the F and F together, if control fails it is bad control.

I apologize I cannot be of more assistance....

Billy

Thanks Anyways
Billy wanted to let you know what was wrong with my furnace last nite was the oil pump had a guy come in today saw everything that i had replaced put gage on the pump and the pump would take it up to around 125 for a few seconds then drop down to about 75 and that is when the fire would go out. thanks again, Denny Pry
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer