HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Furnace is not working properly. Need help!

Turn up the thermostat and...

Turn up the thermostat and furnace turns on. Takes ten minutes or so to turn blower on, then the furnace runs for a few minutes but never runs to reach the desired temperature.

Answered in 1 minute by:
10/28/2011
Richard, Technical Manager

Richard :

Hello if you look at the furnace is there a window at the bottom with flashing light? Count ther flahes and look on the back door for the code Richard

JACUSTOMER :
It says simultaneous fast flash is normal operation
Richard :

OK if you tun up the stat and let it fire do the flames stay on? or go on and off before the blower kicks in the blower should come on 20 seconds after flame

JACUSTOMER :
I have to go look.We don't hear the blower come on at all. No flames either. The heater starts up but no blower. It keeps going into start up mode but no blower it was kicking on earlier
Richard :

Ok we may have a bad blower first turn power off take the bottom door off and spin the wheel by hand to see if it spins freely. Next turn power back on and set thermostat to fan on will it run

JACUSTOMER :
Ok it spins freely. It is running in fan on mode with heat on
Richard :

Ok next do you have a volt meter we could have a bad board that won't energize the heat speed

JACUSTOMER : We are getting heat now.Looking for volt meter. Got meter now what do we do with it.
Richard :

You probably have a failed board but if you get a meter check for voltage from the fan motor wire on the heat terminal to the white neutral

JACUSTOMER :
Can we let it run this way until someone can come fix it.Is that expensive to replace
Richard :

Yes you can. A board is around a 100 dollars or so if that is it

JACUSTOMER-e0pl3gt1- : My husband has a volt Meter. checking it now. Should it be off. We are not sure what wires
Richard :

No, if we are checking for power we need a call for heat and the burners on.

Turn the fan back to auto for this test

JACUSTOMER :
We got white neutral, where do we put the meter wires one on white neutral and the other where.
Richard :

Look for a terminal labled heat to H or H

JACUSTOMER :
As soon as we open bottom door, power goes off for saftey. Still looking for H
Richard :

You will have to hold the door switch in

JACUSTOMER :
Which board do we look at. There is a top white lennox board and two green smaller bottom boards
Richard :

Look for the fan motor. Wires are where they go

JACUSTOMER : The fan motor wires go to top board. And bottom board
Richard :

Look for a terminal lab led Heat or H on one of them

JACUSTOMER : Found it, green led says heat. There are jumpers on this green board
Richard :

Can you get the model. I will look it up

JACUSTOMER : Lennox g32v3-75-1. We found wires what do we set volt meter too. When it was running it said 25 volt meter set to 200 white neutral and heat jumper
Richard :

I see you have an ECM motor this is a bit different. There are two harness that come off this motor one is hi voltage and one is low. The one with a black white and green wires we dont want to look at right not. The other should have several wires up to 16 or less. What we need to do here is pull that arness off and blow on it to clean it then try to plug it back in. You wont have a tester for this motor it is something only an HVAC technician will have. Since th emotor runs you probaly have a bad board ( this would be the fan board the 16 pin harness plugs into

JACUSTOMER : Ok doing this. Still same result. Blower won't come on.Bad board
JACUSTOMER :
How long can we run it in fan mode if they can't get here tomorrow
Richard :

This is a link to the service break down. This may be over your head. Its up to you. Look on troubleshooting section fo reheat mode

You can run it for a long time no damage will occur past what is bad.

Lennox has a very in depth series of checks here and I would hate to see you waste money on the worng part.

JACUSTOMER :
Ok so about how much to fix this bad boy
Richard :

If its a board for this unit is could be 200 for the part. However many of these came with 5 and 10 year warranties. Look for you warranty card and the part may be covered do you know how old it is

JACUSTOMER : Blower came on just now in auto mode.
Richard :

It could have just been a loose connection it happens on these when you can get some contact cleaner from LOWES or Home depot to clean well. Itslow voltageso it won't take much moisture or dirt to cause a problem

Maybe we saved you some trouble here

JACUSTOMER : Ok still not staying on, though just went back off. But we will try that
Richard :

Keep it on auto, if it works that way to get you by. It sounds like a bad connection if the fan came on even for a momment

JACUSTOMER : Ok do you recommend we try the cleaner or call a tech
Richard :

The fan motor is the real expensive part. I would try to clean first a can of cleaner is only 5 dollars

JACUSTOMER :
Can I use a vacuum in there
Richard :

Sure just turn off power first. Pull the harness off the motor and board

JACUSTOMER : Ok we will try that then call if no luck
Richard :

Ok

JACUSTOMER : Oh actually vacuum the harness
Richard :

Cleaner will work on the harness. I dont think the vacuum will do much there

It would have to be one heck of a vacuum..Lol

JACUSTOMER : Lol, at least we narrowed it down a bit
Richard :

Yes we did.

JACUSTOMER- : You were very helpful.Thanks for your patience
Richard, Technical Manager
Richard, Technical Manager