gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

I changed my thermostat and my heat wont work. Do I have it

Customer Question

I changed my thermostat and my heat won't work. Do I have it wired right? Furnace RC-blue,RH-red,W-white,C-wire from A/C is red and white the red is twisted with the yellow from other wire and capped the white is connected to C, G-green. On the thermostat R-red,RC-blue, O-empty, G-green,W-white,Y-yellow,B-empty. I also have a F/E switch its on F. There is also two tiny white switches on the thermostat for the system type that instructs me what to do . My furnace is gas. Is my system a heat pump?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Hello no it is not a heat pump if you did not use the O but the blue does not go to RC red to RH and make a jumper wire to RC so they connect. The blue wire is usually common for Nordyen. So if the thermostat dose not have a C termial you don't use it. Just tape it off, now if you have no heat you probably blew the low voltage fuse on the board. So take off the doors and look for a circuit board with a small glass or plastic auto type fuse. let me know Richard
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I disconnected the blue wire at the thermostat and jumpered the R and RC with the red wire going to R and nothing happened. At my furnace the blue wire is hooked to RC. Does that matter? Does the button need to be on E or F?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My A/C won't come on now and it was working.At my furnace I do not have a circuit that your asked me to look for unless it is hidden somewhere.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What happened? I did not receive a response when I replied.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Hello no i work on several questions at once. Replac e the blue wire and this is what we need to do. No one uised the standard color code so we will have to go to the furnace and AC and see what wire went ot what terminal. Especially the Red on the RC terminal
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
At the furnace:RC is blue wire RH is red wire W is white wire
G is green wire (All of these come from one wire bundle) C is white wire which is coming from another wire bundle which is just a R/W twisted pair. The red wire from the twisted pair is capped off with the yellow wire coming from the other bundle. I hope you understand this. Could you tell me what wires go to what letter in the thermostat and maybe that will work better. The thermostat has R,RC,O,G,W,Y,and B.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Hello so on ehte furnace there is an RH and RC terminal? that is very unusual can you verify
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes,the Blue wire is attached to the RC and the red wire is attached to the RH.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Hello Ok this must be a two transformer system and very unusual. There is no easy way to do tis other than getting rigt into it. Trace the wires back to both the fuirnace and AC tell me what wire went to what terminal. They did not use a standard color code here so i would be guueesing and could ruin your new stat if we don't know for sure. Or do you remeber what color wire went to what terminal on the old stat?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 5 years ago.
You do not have heat pump. Do you have a voltmeter. Need to check voltage R to C for 24 volts.Russ
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, but I may be able to get one and I will get back to you later today and hopefully be able to get a resolution. I really want to see if there is a problem with the way I have the thermostat hooked up. Before I replaced it early this summer every thing worked fine and I thought I hooked it up the way it was with the old thermostat. I am using a non programmable dial thermostat. I do know the red and white twisted pair comes from the air conditioner unit outside. The red wire is capped off with the yellow wire from the wire coming out of the wall and the white wire is hooked to C at the furnace. I will get back to you later. Thanks..
I will be here. Russ
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok I am back and I have a volt meter. What do I need to do?
Check voltage between R terminal on thermostat and any other terminal and see if you have 24 volts. Russ
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I think this volt meter is junk. I did it and got nothing. However I have a circuit tester that lights up and it did nothing.I did test the blue wire RC and it lit when I touched the green(G) and the yellow(Y).
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I even checked the red at the furnace with the other terminals and I get nothing. It seems as if I am not getting power at all. Any suggestions. I may have to call a service man to come out.

The door of furnace has to be closed to check viltge. If you did not turn power off you may have burnt out a transformer. You may need a tech from here. Russ

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok thanks. My door comes competely off it is not hinged so that cant happen.I guess I will call someone to come out.
Thanks for feedabck . Russ
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had to have some one come out and $146.00 later only to find out that it was a reset switch that is behind the fan housing which sits on top of the furnace.
Yes they tend to hide some of the switches. If that limit opened up there is a reason. Unit must have gotten to hot. usually stopped up filters or bad fan motor causes this problem. Have not had to have one reset in years. Thanks for feed abck. Russ
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had to remove the fan motor and housing earlier in the summer because the blade slipped and had to be put back. It was rubbing the housing. All is good now. Thanks.
Thanks for feedback. Hd it happen to me before. Russ