HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Heater is not working. Ac works but no heat.

Customer Question
Heater will not turn on...

Heater will not turn on. The blower works, ac works but no heat.

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: HVAC
10/6/2011
HVAC Technician: curtisfrink,
 replied 6 years ago
curtisfrink

The Shock Doc:

Is this a residential application? Is it a heat pump/furnace combination?

JACUSTOMER :

It’s a Residential. The make: International Comfort model: NTC6100KFA.1

The make is Heil.

The Shock Doc:

There are commonly 2 different power sources to the system; a heat pump circuit and the heat circuit. Have you tried resetting (turning off, them back on) both the furnace and heat pump circuits? Then it’s both. The furnace itself typically has one or two breakers attached to it. You need to try resetting these as well. There are really no other parts, such as fuses, etc., that are user-serviceable in the furnace. It sounds like the thermostat is operating ok, since it turns the ac and the fan on.

JACUSTOMER :

There is a fuse and it humms when turned on. It is powered by propane.

HVAC Technician: curtisfrink,
 replied 6 years ago

What do mean by "humms"? Does it buzz loudly, or just a quiet kind of hum?

Does this sound like a similar problem to yours? The burner (Flames) does not come on at times. It seems that after the system kicks on the first time in the morning or after an hour or so it will go through its cycle and ignite and everything works. But as soon as reaches the desired temperature range and kicks off and then tries to kick on again after 30 min or so it goes through its cycle again and the burners do not ignite. If so, it is probably your gas valve. It is called a "smart valve". They are prone to failure in this manner. Obviously you need to check the fuse first; you need a meter that will read continuity or ohms.

The burner flames won't kick on at all.

curtisfrink
curtisfrink
curtisfrink