HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have central AC sysyem - Spacepak airhandler, York

Customer Question
affinity 3s outside unit and...
I have central AC sysyem - Spacepak airhandler, York affinity 3s outside unit and a Honeywell TH8100U1003 thermostat. The outdoor unit has been intermittently cooling but seemed to start working again if i turn off the breakers and reboot and then the thermostat display stopped working (changed batteries no luck). I then purchased the same thermostat as a replacement and when I connected the wires exactly as they were the system now heats when you set it to cool. The only thing I can think of that could be different is that the factory installed jumper between RC a R does appear to be slightly different in that the old one has a black section on the jumper ( to small to tell what it is) and the new one is just a wire jumper. I hope someone has experience with this and can help. Thank you
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: HVAC
8/28/2011
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 6 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Phil :

All work to be done by licensed professional. WE KEEP GOING UNTIL YOU ARE HAPPY . . . I come and go, be patient.

Phil :

I need the make and model number of the outside unit please.. that will tell me if its a heat pump or not. The jumper is likely OK, but you may have to change one of the wire locations on the thermostat.

Phil :

Blue and Orange operate the 4 way reversing valve that puts the system into heat or cool mode. that connection is likely just reversed.

Phil :

tell me what color the wires that attach to the thermostat are, and what wire goes to each terminal.

Phil :

the easiest way to do that is to find where the thermostat wires attach at the inside unit.

Phil :

Phil

Customer:

Phil,

Customer:

sorry for the delay - I had to find the heatpump manual - it is a York Affinity R-410A outdoor split system airconditioning or heat pump 5 ton

Customer:

checking wires now

Customer:

red to RC which is jumpered to R

Customer:

white to OB

Customer:

Black to Y

Customer:

Blue to G

Customer:

C not used

Phil :

Thanks. I need the model number of the heat pump, thats not in the manual.. it is stamped on the units name plate outside.

Customer:

checking now

Customer:

model YZB06011A

Phil :

the white to OB is likely the problem.. that sends voltage to the reversing valve to change from heating to cooling. its operating backwards.. or the wire is broken or some such

Customer:

i will check connection now

Phil :

remove white from OB as a test. tell me if it stays in heat mode or switches to cooling.

Phil :

we can go from there.

Phil :

Phil

Customer:

doing now

Customer:

removed thermostat, disconnected and taped white wire, replaced thermostat and waiting for startup

Customer:

unit started - thermostat says cooling - airhandler is blowing, but york affinity outdoor heat pump unit is not

Phil :

Is the outside unit running?

Phil :

or running but not cooling?

Phil :

Phil

Phil :

\

Customer:

it wasn't running, then it started up and is heating

Phil :

turn it off

Customer:

done

Phil :

I suppose it is supposed to be cooling now, not heating

Customer:

at thermostat - should I throw the breakers?

Phil :

this indicates that it was not the thermostat that was bad, but that the reversing valve is not operating properly to put the system into cooling mode.

Phil :

breakers are ok

Phil :

the control coil on the 4 way valve should be energized to put the unit into cooling... either the coil in the valve is bad, or the valve is stuck. or the control card is bad

Phil :

thats easy to checl

Phil :

check

Phil :

remove the outside service panel on the outside unit that exposes the compressor and a valve with 4 fat tubes and two wires attached.

Phil :

reconnect the white wire on the thermostat

Phil :

turn the thermostat to cooling mode

Phil :

hold the metal blade of a small screw driver next to the end of the coil with the two wires attached

Phil :

you should feel a magnetic pull

Phil :

if not, find where the two wires attach and check for 24v

Phil :

if you have 24v... then remove the wires and use your ohm meter to check ohms through the coil.

Phil :

if it reads infinity, the coil is bad

Phil :

Phil

Customer:

I have not yet gone outside, but i reconnected the white wire and rebooted and the same happened - heat came on. I then tried and experiment - I switched it to heat and set the temperature to 5 degrees higher and the system turned off

Phil :

It sounds like the 4 way valve (the reversing valve we have been discussing) is malfunctioning. do the tests mentioned earlier.. we can track it down to a stuck valve or a bad control coil on the valve)

Phil :

Phil

Customer:

it is now dark here so I will need to try and do this in the morning or early evening

Phil :

Just post a detailed remark when you can, I will be notified and we can pick it up and go from there.

Phil :

Phil

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer