Matthew
Matthew, HVAC Technician
Experience:  14 years experience in the HVAC field of service, installation, Manual J & D calculations
6927568

My air conditioner is running but it isnt cool upstairs

My air conditioner is running but it isn't cool upstairs
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Matthew replied 6 years ago.

Matthew :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you today.

Matthew :

If the air is blowing out of the vents but it isn't cool then one of 2 things is happening.

Matthew :

1. The outdoor unit/compressor isn't coming on

Matthew :

2. The system is low on refrigerant.

Matthew :

If the outdoor unit isn't coming on then you either have no high voltage to it, the duel capacitor is blown, or the contacts inside the outdoor unit are bad.

Matthew :

If the compressor energizes outside and the fan on top of the outdoor unit is energizing and the air still isn't cool then your system needs refrigerant.

Customer:

ok, i'll have someone check it out the compressor and refrigerant. but it seems to me that the cool air is blowing in the basement, does this mean anthing.

Matthew :

It could be you have some runs loose and the air is blowing out into the basement before it gets to the vents that blow out upstairs. It could be because the system is low on refrigerant that the indoor evap coil is frozen over and the air is being blocked so it seeps out any crack it can in the furnace and duct work and into the basement.

Customer:

thanks