BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a braeburn 3000 thermostat. After a power outage our

I have a braeburn 3000 thermostat. After a power outage our thermastat downstairs has a problem. We have it on cool for 74 degrees most the time. Now the cool word is blinking and even though the temp is set to 74 it goes for a cpl minuts then turns to just air circulating. It is now 80 degrees in my house and it wont go to cool air. Just still blowing regular air. My air conditioning guy is away but said maybe we had it on program mode.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.

this may be an issue with the outdoor unit . Have you checked the breaker to the outdoor unit that is not running?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, but if we try things on the thermostat we get it to turn on and it will start to cool, but a little while after cool starts blinking again and the cold air stops and just blows regular air.

Could it just be the filter?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.

During this situation...is the outdoor section running?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes it is running!
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.

Thank you,

Now please go to the furnace..locate the 2 pipes that go inside the furnace that come from the outdoor unit. One is covered in black rubber insulation...move the insulation where the pipe enters the furnace and tell me if warm, cold, dry, wet etc...

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, its dry & cold. not super cold but cool.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.

Thank you,

If the outdoor unit is running then the thermostat is sending the signal. However, the line you felt should be cold and sweating. The issue appears to be with the air conditioner...did the filter check out clean?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I just changed it & yes it was dirty

Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.

Ok,

wait 5 minutes...the line should be cold and condensing by then. Let me know.

Billy

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The pipe seems colder, but not condensing yet. I went to check the outdoor units again. the first unit seems to blow out cold air & the second unit seems to blow out warm air. Is this normal?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.

When fully charged with freon and operating properly both should blow out hot air out the top of the ac un it. This is heat being moved from inside to outside.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Could I be out of freon? Cause the first unit is definitely blowing out cold air.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.

If the pipe you felt is cold..but not sweating, you either have dirty coils or low on freon.

Billy

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is freon something that I could check and fill or do I need to wait for my ac tech after the weekend??
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.

Unfortunately freon is only available to the service tech, and the necessary gages and hoses are usually only found on a service techs truck.

It is not the type of freon availablr automobiles.