HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a Lennox heating and air conditioner that his about

Customer Question
4 yrs old. The...
I have a Lennox heating and air conditioner that his about 4 yrs old. The M/N# XXXXX XXXXX HPD-042-230-01 and the S/N is 5806m14939. The unit will not come on. My thermostat inside of the home that regulates the unit is blank. I have used a wet/dry vacuum to remove any clogs from the plastic pipe that is hanging out of the back of the house. There is no debris, grass or anything else that is around the unit. I have also replaced all filters in the home. When I take off the side panel and push the switch manually the fan comes on but you can feel nothing happening inside the home. What can I do to fix it?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/18/2011
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 6 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

What is furnace make/model?

Lennox....model number 13 HPD-042-230-01 serial number 5806m14939

That is the outdoor unit. The power for thermostat comes from the indoor unit. That is the number I need.

Sorry. I have a honeywell thermostat I pulled it off of the wall and the only numbers I see on is TH5220D10290706. Is that what you need? If not, where do I locate the information you need.

Do you know where you change the filter?

Yes, I have three vents in the home and I replaced the filters behind each of them. There is nothing behind him that I saw when I put in the new filters? There is just an empty whole?

Ok..the indoor blower....usually the filter is there but yours are in the grills.....where is the unit at that blows air through the registers?

The only unit that I know of is the one that is located outside which is the Lennox. Are you saying that there is another unit some where in the home that I have never seen? Where could it be? I have a small grill that has a hose behind it while the other two just have empty whole's. I thought the unit outside blew the air through the registers but that does not seem to be the case. Help?

Your unit outside has 2 pipes that it to the indoor unit.

Here is what the outdoor unit looks like

http://www.greenwoodheating.com/products/manuals/heatpumps/13HPD.pdf

Follow the pipes and they will lead to the indoor unit. That is what I need the numbers from.

I apologize but I must go off line now.

I will opt to the online experts.

I wish you luck!

Billy

Ok, let me go outside and follow the pipes. This will take a few minutes. I will get right back to you.

Ok, Billy. Thank you for your patience. Whomever is taking over I found the inside unit under the house. What do I do now?

I just received a receipt that you took my $30 without someone finishing up where Billy left off. I have not gotten the answers that I need yet. Billy was in the middle of helping me, when he had to log off. Why did you process my payment before you finished servicing me?

I am still waiting for help. Is there anyone out there to finish helping me?

I am still waiting and now I am getting another request for more money when you have not not finished helping me with my first question. Can some one step up and help me?

Anyone?

Please finish helping me someone?

Help...

The inside model number is CB 26 UH 042 R 230 1

Hello, I am back online. I apologize.....it appears no one picked up the question.

Are you still willing to proceed?

Thank God you are back, Billy. I have been charged two payments and no one has helped me. I got the model number from under the house it is CB 26 UH-042-R-230-1. The serial number is 600 6H 40 70 1.

I am really sorry. Let me pull my files for that unit.

Ok, thank you.

Thanks for your patience. This usually goes smoother.

I have the info from all pieces now. First, do you know how to change batteries in the thermostat?

Thermostat manual - http://www.alpinehomeair.com/related/Honeywell%20TH5220D%20Install%20Instructions.pdf

Yes, I do but it has never had batteries in it. I works through the electricity.

Thanks....process of elimination.

Next, does the CB26 have power to it?

Then if you could....running with those refrigerant pipes is a thermostat wire. It connects the indoor unit to the outdoor unit. See if that wire is intact...

I could hear a little whistling sound coming from the CB26 unit and the wires looked in tact.

But you do not believe the blower was running?

and where the pipes enter the blower unit from outside...is there any frost or ice present?

There is no air blowing in the home and there was no frost or ice present.

While at the unit (the CB26) you said you heard whistling?

And do you mind a hands on test at the thermostat to bypass the thermostat for a test?

I don't mind anything at the moment. You tell me how to do it and I will do it. :-)

Remove top section of the thermostat....the sub base will still be mounted on the wall....on this sub base are wire terminals.

R and G are the ones we are interested in right now.....use a short wire or a paper clip shaped in a U.....touch one end to R while touching other end to G.

Tell me if fan inside kicks on.

Ok, took off the top section and I see the R and G ones you mentioned. Do you want me to put the paper clips on the screws located under R and G or in the little wholes located under R and G. Just want make sure before I do it. I am also assuming we need the electricity to stay on correct?

It can be done various ways...remove red and green wire and twist together...attach paper clip in terminals, just hold the jumper on manually...but yes...power must be on to furnace/blower.

What is the jumper?
sorry...the "jumper" is the short wire or paper clip....it is referred to as jumping power from R to G.
Ok, got it. :-) I removed the green and R and G wires, twisted them together and placed the paper clip in the terminals manually but the fan did not kick on.

Thank you.

Now hook eveything back up as normal at thermostat.

Now we have eliminated the thermostat itself as being defective.

I know you checked breakers for ac, but did you reset for air handler?

I don't know how to reset for air handler. How do I do that?
In your breaker box (electrical panel) turn off the breakers to indoor air handler...(not outdoor ac )
Done.

Thanks...now....does the drain (condensate drain) from the unit drain into a rectangle pump?

I have a drain pipe that runs from underneath the home outside. Is this what you are referring too? If so, I used the wet/dry vac and cleared out this pipe this morning. Is there possibly another rectangle pump I may have missed?

Maybe...

Go to the unit and see exactly where the drain line goes from the air handler. It could be a small transfer pump known as a condensate pump.

Will be offline again for an hour or so.

Respond as soon as I can.

Ok. Here is the answer to your question. There is a black rectangle box that is located on the top of the white pvc pipe that is directly beside the unit. It has wires running from it into the unit. Also from the inside unit there is a long white PVC pipe that runs from the unit and goes out the back of the home through the foundation. It has a little hook on it and this is what I vacuumed out this morning. I will talk to you again when you return. Thanks.

Is the black box full of water?

No.

Half full or empty?

empty.

How do feel about checking for power with a volt meter?

It seems to have power because you can hear the sound. But none the less I do not have a volt meter unfortunately.

Do you mind taking the front door off?

No, but the front door of what? The black rectangler box or the unit itself. I do not recall if there was such a thing but I can go back under the house and see if you tell me exactly what door I am to remove.

The front door of the blower unit..

After that then what should I do? Since I have to leave the computer and go under the house can you give me all the steps I need to do while I am under there before I go?

Find where the thermostat wires attach..

see if they are on a circuit board that has a small blade fuse like in a car.

If it does what should I do next. I need all of the steps that I need to confirm or debunk while under the house. It is a small area and I want to look for everything that you need me to look for and test while under there. Day light right now is getting slim and my flash light is not the best.

the fuse we hope is present will be a 5 amp blade fuse. If blown replace.

After that requires a meter so this will be the last thing I have you check.

Billy

Ok, thanks Billy. I will check to see if there is a circuit board with the 5 amp blade fuse you mentioned. If that does not work, I guess I will have to get a professional to take a look at it. I know it is something simple, the unit is not that old. I thought there would be a simply reset button on the unit under the house but I guess that is not feasible. I hope it does have a circuit board but I am not optimistic that it did. I know exactly what you are talking about because I see that on the outside unit. Anyway, I thank you for your help today, I was hopeful that I would have my issue solved like everyone else mentioned in their feedback columns but things just don't go like that for me. I can't say it was not from a lack of trying. I appreciate it, have a good night. At least one of us will be cool.

I will leave this open for you for any follow up you may need. I also appreciate knowing what the final issue was.

Billy

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer