HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

How to change cycles on Honeywell Thermostat?

Customer Question
I have a Honeywell thermostat...

I have a Honeywell thermostat model RTH63500, how do I change the cycles per hour or the temperature swing, I do not need my heat or my AC cycling in within 1 degree. With all the energy star stuff out there and high SEER ratings it is beyond silly to cycle this often. It has a good run time, but it's only off for 3-5 minutes in between cycles. Is there a thermostat that I should get instead? (I have a heat pump with 5kw heat strip)

Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: HVAC
2/6/2011
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 7 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

You are correct. The cycle rate is per hour hour. Theory being, unit kicks on heats, post blower and only will do this the amount of times set.

I know you already have this but here is install with menu -

http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/PackedLit/69-2416ES.pdf

Yes, I'm aware of what CFH is, I need to know how to change my CFH on this thermostat. Do you have any idea how I can change the anticipatory on this thing, or CPH (I have the smart response technology already off on this T-stat, but from what I understand that's only for running the program). I don't need my house to be maintained at a <1º temp swing, 2º would be much better, any advice?

See page 17 here - http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/PackedLit/69-2416ES.pdf

Also the same link I sent in previous post. The menu sets the thermostat up for what operation it is. Heat pump, gas, electric etc. Also cycle rates and lots of other potential settings.

OK, I'm sorry, I'm not communicating this properly. I'm aware how to program this T-stat. I've set it up according to what I have and the system operates properly. I don't see any CPH adjustment or temp swing adjustment anywhere in the programming. The manual gives you no clue to how to change the CPH or temp tolerance. Again, I do not need my AC keeping my home at a <1º temp swing. What I'm asking is this, on this particular thermostat. Ho do I change the CPH or temp tolerance?

Ok, maybe we are both coming up short here.

Fuction 5 is our cycle rate. What value do you currently have in function 5?

This is what I have: 1-5 2-0 6-5 8-9 13-0 14-0 no option for function 5. So can I change function 6 from 5 to 3? and function 8 from 9-3? and will this change my cycle rate for the cool cycle as well? Being in Florida I'm a bit more worried about the AC side of things than heat. That's why I'm on here, nowhere in this programming does it give me an option to cycle count the Cool side.. Dumb manual mostly :)

You are correct...

BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech