Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

I have a Dunkirk Model # PWX-4VNT2 gas boiler. The water temp.

I have a Dunkirk Model # XXXXX gas boiler. The water temp. goes up to 180 deg.. I have hot water baseboard heating and it takes a very long time for my heat to come up. I believe the heat should be adjusted to 200 deg. I can not figure out where on the boiler to turn up the temp. Thanks, Pat
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.

Rickheatdoc :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rickheatdoc :

Turning up the high limit won't make your heat come up any faster

Rickheatdoc :

180 is typical design temp for baseboard heat

Rickheatdoc :

You may actually waste fuel if you turn your heat up to 200

Customer :

The manual states that 180 would be for radiators and 200 should be for baseboard heating, so I was just wontersing if this is why it took so long for my heat to come up. I have the heat set at 62 and at 5:30 A.M. it is set to change to 70 and it takes almost 3 hours to get there

Rickheatdoc :

I don't know what manual you are reading. The water temp should be set for what the system is designed for which typically is 180 for baseboard. Many systems are designed to maintain a given temp not boost the temp up 8 to 10 degrees in the coldest weather. You can try bumping the temp up to 200 but this is only effective if the boiler is big enough to handle the load. Give me a minute and I'll see if I can find the specific location of your temp limit

Customer :

Thanks

Rickheatdoc :

be right back

Rickheatdoc :

Well the manual wasn't very helpful. It looks like it could be mounted on the supply pipe elbow right as it comes out of the boiler. It would be a gray control box probably with a Honeywell logo. If you remove the cover there is a dial inside to adjust the temp

Customer :

Thanks