BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have a Rudd Pacemaker Hot Water Heater Model P40-38. I am

I have a Rudd Pacemaker Hot Water Heater Model P40-38. I am having a problem where I'm running out of hot water in less than 1 short shower. When I feel the tank, it is warm up to about 10 inches above the bottom of the tank, and that is it. I've used the drain to clean out the sediment - but there wan't much at all - clear water came out after about 3 or 4 seconds.

This has been a consistent problem over the last few weeks. Previously, we were getting through 3-4 showers before it going cold.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 6 years ago.

This would need to checked to confirm:

With this tank (gas) there are limited items causing this symptom. A gas pressure issue (unlikely) or a defective dip tube.

The dip tube is on the cold inlet and feeds water to the bottom of the tank to be heated while the hot water rises to top. When the dip tube is defective it drops cold water in the top instead which bypasses to the hot outlet.

You will need to have the dip tube removed to verify.

Billy