Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

My Rinnai 431F propane heater squeeks, chirps as if a bearing

My Rinnai 431F propane heater squeeks, chirps as if a bearing is starting to fail. 3 years old, however it is installed in a basement and runs all year round. I have had the front and side panels off trying to find the noise. I expect that either the circulator fan or heater air fan needs to be replaced. The noise seems to be comming from behind the curcuit board. I am sure that I can do the component replacement. Where can I buy parts and any advice would be appriciated
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 6 years ago.

Phil :

Hi,This is risky business, not responsible for damages on your end. We keep going until you're satisfied. I come and go. be patient.

Phil :

Try www.furnaceParts.com

Phil :

Try both, get back to me if there are any problems, Phil

JACUSTOMER-3uywobc8- :

Hi phil;

Phil :

Hello again, just type what you have and I pick it up when notified..that can take a while...

Phil :

Im in and out all day..

JACUSTOMER-3uywobc8- :

ran the unit without the front panel. used a lenth of rubber tubing to isolate the squeek to the convection fan motor. The plan is to replace the motor. Does this seem correct?

Phil :

Good plan. take the motor out, and to Grainger Industrial supply for a match up, that will be cheapest.

Phil :

you could also try tuning the fan by hand, it may squeek then also.. that would be a bullet proof test.

Phil :

or if you are cheap like me, you might remove the fan motor and look for some oil holes, and if there are none, drill some and put 4 drops in each hole.

Phil :

stay in touch,

Phil :

Phil

JACUSTOMER-3uywobc8- :

I'll check the granger site and be in touch.

Phil :

the site is a pain in the neck.

Phil :

take it into their store, let them sort it out.. mark the rotation on the motor.

Phil :

stay in touch, I will be in all day, Phil