HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Our trane XR80 furnace red light was flashing continously calling

Customer Question
for heat but nothing happened...
Our trane XR80 furnace red light was flashing continously calling for heat but nothing happened. Called our energy company who came out and determined we needed a new thermostat. We purchased a new honeywell thermostat ans installed it then powered turned power switch to furnace on. ran for about a minute then quit. Now the red light is not lit which indicates no power to the unit. The breaker is on the switch is on and when saftey switch is pushed in (when you replace the furnace door) you can hear it hum but still no LED red light on circuit board. Is there a reset required??
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: HVAC
1/16/2011
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 7 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

Is the light on a White Rodgers control box?

I am not at the house right now but the red light was on the main circuit board which was white. i don't recall the name on it. We will be going there soon and will have to chat via my blackberry if required.

Thank you....Do you have a volt meter to take with you?

yes, although not sure how to read it.

Ok...we can get through part. Also if when you are there, if you can get me the model number from the white box I can tell you more specifically what to do.

I will be off line however for a while...will be back on in 2 hours. If you like I can opt out to someone who will be online.

I can wait Billy. we are good to go with the volt meter. Will take it over. How do I get back to chat on my bb? Just go to the URL and use my #?

Correct. Just return to this same thread.

Talk to you soon.

We are here now. Let me know when u r back

Ready to proceed.

It is a white rogers control switch.

Do you have the number from the control box?

Am here which number.
There is(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Should be a 50E or cnt #

OR just give me model number of unit....

Cnt 03076

Thank you....so we went from flashing....changed thermostat...now nothing...so the unit has never ran with the new thermostat?

It powered up for about a minute then quit. No more red light. Did not through breaker. So indicates no power to unit with no red light. We tried bypassing thermostat and nothing yet when we depress safety switch u can hear a hum like there is power.

Ok,

we need bottom door off and the safety switch taped down securely...Then set meter for ac volts~ and set for scale of 200 (anything higher than 115v but lower than 500.

Put one lead to "line" terminal on control and one lead to ground.

see page 13 here for wiring help.

http://hvac.amickracing.com/Furnace%20Info/Gas%20Furnace%20Silicon%20Nitride%20Ignitor%20Models.pdf

Same schematic as on door. Not sure which is line and ground in relationship to the thermostat connection

We are not looking at thermostat right now....we are looking at 115v into unit that goes to dooe switch and from door switch to "line" on circuit board.

Ok I have the line H is from door switch not sure wich ground?

Ground can be any metal of the cabinet...

Had to set up heaters and leave. Will try tomorroW.
Will this indicate if power in to switch?
If yes does this indicate power to circuit board?
If no- call the electician?

If no power to circuit board terminal "Line" then call electrician or furnace man.

If power to Line and no led lit circuit board is bad.

Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer