HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have a Weil McLain Gold boiler with a 41 gallon Boilermate

hot water heater. In...
I have a Weil McLain Gold boiler with a 41 gallon Boilermate hot water heater. In terms of trying to insure efficiency, is it safe for me to access the the boiler compartment and flue to clean out any accumulated soot? If so are there other internal parts that can be inspected and maintained to increase efficiency? Any input is appreciated.

We also burn wood. Last year, we went through 350 gallons of heating oil. This year, we are on track to burn 350-400 gallons to heat water and a 2600 sq' newer home. How much soot can you expect to see given this level of usage?

Thank you,
Jeff
1/7/2011
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor

Rickheatdoc :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rickheatdoc :

If the burner is set up properly there should be little or no soot.

Rickheatdoc :

There are no other standard "parts" that can be adjusted to improve efficiency

Rickheatdoc :

There are clean out access panels for brushing and vacuuming the sections to remove soot. Refer to your boiler manual for their location.

Rickheatdoc :

If you want to improve efficiency you can add a boiler water temp modulating control such as the Beckett Heat Manager

JACUSTOMER-z1hwii8y- :

Thank you Rick. You have saved me some time. When you have a boiler tech out to service the boiler, it can cost up to $180. What do they actually do to insre the efficiency of the system?

JACUSTOMER-z1hwii8y- :

Jeff

Rickheatdoc :

They should vacuum out the boiler, change the fuel filter, replace the nozzle and check burner setting to make sure the burner is set to optimal combustion efficiency. The last item can only be done with very expensive test equipment

JACUSTOMER-z1hwii8y- :

??Given my usage, how often should I have the system serviced?

Rickheatdoc :

annually

JACUSTOMER-z1hwii8y- :

Thank you. I will get on a service plan with my oil provider next year. For this year, I will monitor closely my consumption. with the cost of oil, it does not take much to rationalize the expense. We are good to go...appreciate your advice.

Rickheatdoc :

Look into the Beckett Heat Manager. It's not real expensive and well worth the price.

Rickheatdoc :

http://www.becketthm.com/default.asp

Please hit accept
Thanks for using Just Answer

JACUSTOMER-z1hwii8y- :

There is a black box on top of the pump that says Bedkett RWB. I think that the syem has this tool.

JACUSTOMER-z1hwii8y- :

Sorry, that was Beckett

Rickheatdoc :

http://www.beckettcorp.com/protect2/techsuppt/product-manuals/61733_AquaSmartProductSheet.pdf

This is the only other temp modulating control by Beckett

Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Rick
Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor