Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years experience, HVAC
12095340

The furnace in my mothers home is an 18 year old Janitrol

The furnace in my mother's home is an 18 year old Janitrol natural gas unit with approx. 26 linear feet of Plexvent piping. The furnace works well, but the Plexvent is leaking condensate in several places. Our heating contractor refuses to repair the leaks and I have read where Plexvent was recalled in 1998. Unfortunately, we just found out about this recall last week. The contractor recommends replacing the entire system. Her house was built in 1963 & contains approx. 3,500 sq. ft. all one one level and was originally heated by heat pumps. The furnace is in the attached two car garage & is vented through a side wall. There is no chimney or flue in the garage, which explains for the length of Plexvent used. Her house, while recently completely insulated, is on the water & has large bay windows with no storm windows or doors. What is your advice? Any particular brand of furnace you would recommend? Thank you in advance for your hep. Bill in Norfolk, VA
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick Mather replied 6 years ago.

Rick Mather :

I would look in to a Rheem, or an off brand with excellant warranty is ThermoPride

JACUSTOMER-nx88d8j5- :

So, in other words, bite the bullet & replace everything instead of just replacing the Plexvent.

Rick Mather :

Yes being that old its at its life expectancy any way

JACUSTOMER-nx88d8j5- :

Thank you very much!