Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

We have an old Lennox gas furnace model G12D2-82-2. The pilot

Customer Question

We have an old Lennox gas furnace model G12D2-82-2. The pilot light keeps going out. You can relight it and the furnace works until the room comes up to temp. then it goes out. It seems like it is the valve. The solenoid or whatever the electrical part that is attached to the valve is hot to the touch which it probably shouldn't be. Is this part(s) available
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Douglas replied 6 years ago.
Hi, I'm Douglas and I am here to help you resolve problems with your heating and cooling equipment.

The gas valve itself gets hot?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is some electrical device on the valve into which go two wires. It is about 2 inches high by 1 1/2 inches wide and 1 1/2 inches deep. It is shaped like a box. It sometimes gets hot. When the furnace works normally it is not hot. When I have the problem with the pilot light it gets quite warm to the touch. Hot even.
Expert:  Douglas replied 6 years ago.
any chance on seeing a picuture?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Tell me your email. I can't seem to upload pictures to this thing.