Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

My thermostat says filter on the bottom what does that mean

Customer Question

My thermostat says filter on the bottom what does that mean the room is 76 degrees and it is set for 65 what could be going on
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.

Rickheatdoc :

Welcome to Just Answer, I will do my best to help you solve your problem

Rickheatdoc :

The filter message is just a timed reminder to change the filter. It's not like your thermostat is sensing a problem. If you would like some help determining the cause of your heating problem I would need to know what type (model and brand would help a lot) of heating system you have.

JACUSTOMER-1blqo1c0- :

just one min. and i will go to the basement and get that info okay it s a pensotti hot water system model S1-34 also what filter and where is a filter I need to change

Rickheatdoc :

There is no filter in a hot water system. This message is for warm air furnaces/systems. Give me a minute to see if I can find specs on your boiler.

JACUSTOMER-1blqo1c0- :

ok

Rickheatdoc :

I can't find any specs on this model. Is it a gas boiler?

JACUSTOMER-1blqo1c0- :

no

Rickheatdoc :

Oil fired?

Rickheatdoc :

how many zones (thermostats)? if more than one do you have zone valves or a circulator for each zone?

JACUSTOMER-1blqo1c0- :

yes

Rickheatdoc :

please answer the questions about zone control

JACUSTOMER-1blqo1c0- :

we have circulator for each zone 4 zones plus a boilermate so that makes 5

Rickheatdoc :

This problem is just in 1 zone?

JACUSTOMER-1blqo1c0- :

yes it is in just the upstairs bedrooms zone

Rickheatdoc :

OK, the most likely cause of your problem is a faulty or open flow check. In a system with circulator zone control each zone has a flow check that prevents gravity circulation. Hot water is lighter so it rises up the pipes then gives up it's heat cools off, gets heavier (more dense) and "falls" back to the boiler. Without a flow check water would circulate like this as long as the boiler is hot. A properly functioning flow check only lets water circulate when the pump for its zone is running.