HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a -Rodgers programmable thermostat 1F82-261,

Customer Question
I have a White-Rodgers programmable...
I have a White-Rodgers programmable thermostat 1F82-261, purchased last year. I also had the electric pump serviced at that time, which needed some new parts. I have been using the heat, programmed, and everything's been fine. The thermostat was put in the off position a couple days ago, and when I turned it back to the on position, the electric heat pump would not activate. I reset the circuit breakers, which didn't seem to be tripped and reset the thermostat with the help of a White-Rodgers technician. Still nothing. This has happened in the past with two different thermostats--this is the third thermostat in 3 years--that is, they are turned off and suddenly won't turn back on. Any suggestions before I call a guy out? I do not know the make and model of the heat pump.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: HVAC
12/17/2010
HVAC Technician: gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician replied 7 years ago
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Does anything work. Fan to on position emergecy heat anything. Russ
No, the led lights are on and the programming still shows. No fan, nothing.
If you have a voltmeter we need to check for 24 volts on thernostat. If you do not have voltmeter go to air handler pull door and you will see a terminal board with R C G W Y C. Take a small paiece of wire and jumper from R to G , If it does not run check for a blown 5 amp auto type fuse on the fan baord, Russ
Sorry, didn't see your reply. OK, you've lost me. No voltmeter. What is the air handler pull door?
Pull door off air handler(top door) You should see a terminal board with letters R Y C W G. Look on the board and see if you see a 5 amp yellow auto type fuse. Russ
What do you mean air handler. Is this the thermostat we're talking about here?
The inside unit that blows the air. Take off top panel. Russ
There is no inside unit. The huge blower unit is outside. What top panel? There's a door that warns against electric shock.
You have package unit. It would be better to call a service tech on this unit. If you open the door there is mass of wires and hard to trace. If you want to test and see if thermostat is bad . Pull front cover off and use a piece of wire to jump between R and Y to see if unit comes on.If it comes on bad thermostat , If not you will need call service tech. Russ
What kind of wire? A bare wire or plastic covered?
Does not matter it is only 24 volts will not hurt you. Russ
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
I see the R but not the Y
OK I found the Y. I put one end on R and the other on Y. Is that right? How do I know if I touched the wires correctly.

Sorry just got back. That is correct just touch R to Y the outside unit should come on. We are checking thermostat. Russ

Do you have any idea why the blower seems to go out when the thermostat is turned off, or is that a huge coincidence? Not every time of course but it has happened that way at least three times and then the heat is down again. Do I just touch the screws holding the wires R and Y or do I have to touch the actual wires? Is there a fuse or something I could check on the blower? Just want to make sure I've done all I can.
just touch screws and let me know if it runs. Russ
OK, I tried everything again: resetting circuit breaker, new batteries, resetting thermostat, and jumping wires. Nothing.

Does fan run in on position. Do you have a volt meter. Russ

No fan. I have an old volt meter. Not sure it works anymore.
We need to check voltage on unit outside.. Before you take panel off shut off power. Take off panel and locate where high voltage wires come into contactor. Turn power on and check for 220 volts at contactor. Russ
You talk as if I know what you are talking about. I just don't think I'm getting anywhere. Panal?? Do you mean the main switch powern switch to turn off power?? If so, it's inside the panel door? Contactor? I told you I'm not sure if volt meter even works. This all sounds too dangerous, and it's wet and rainy outside. Maybe someone more comfortable with electricity could do what you're suggesting. I better just give it up. What about my question regarding turning thermostat off messing up the system?
You need to call service tech. It gets tricky when trying get a voltage reading. I am going to opt out. Russ
Please answer the question I've asked 3 times about turning off thermostat. Coincidence??

Turning off thermostat would not have anyting to do with unit not working when you turned it back on. You have jumped thermostat,turned power off and on to reset faults. Something is wrong in outside unit and I do not want to get you hurrt trying to trouble shoot the electrical system. Double check on thermostat and make sure you have the two R terminals jumper in place for heat/cool operation. Russ

I'm not sure about your last statement--two R terminals jumper in place for heat/cool operation???
There are two terminals on thermostats. One is RC for cooling and one is RH for heating. They are for systems with two transformers. To get thermostat to operate properly they must have a small jumper wire between them. Russ
Been out and about. Thanks for trying to help. I appreciate it. At least I learned how to test if the thermostat is bad. Good to know:)
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician